Limnophila aromatica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use your API test kit low range pH drops, not that stuff. For whatever reason, it really doesn't work well. My bottle (the same one you have) turned green when I added it to just the 4 dKH solution. YMMV

Okay, so from the pic i showed you what shouldn't I use? And how many drops of the ph drops?

The 4 dKH should be fine, but instead of the solution that came with it, use 2-5 drops of the pH drops.

aqua_chem said:
The 4 dKH should be fine, but instead of the solution that came with it, use 2-5 drops of the pH drops.

Okay, any tips to get my plant to look and pearl like yours?

I'm wondering if your CO2 isn't as high as you think it is.... We'll see after the reconfigured drop checker is all equilibrated.

Hmm, nothing off the top of my head. Strong fundamentals (CO2 + light + ferts) is about the best advice I can offer.

aqua_chem said:
I'm wondering if your CO2 isn't as high as you think it is.... We'll see after the reconfigured drop checker is all equilibrated.

Hmm, nothing off the top of my head. Strong fundamentals (CO2 + light + ferts) is about the best advice I can offer.

But seeing how the big bubbles from the air stone go into the power head, I think co2 might be Okay. The big bubbles get chopped up into tiny micro bubbles throughout the tank.

You can also use the KH/pH/CO2 relationship as a rough estimate. Google it to find the specific chart. It's a useful rough estimate, but is not exact by any means.

aqua_chem said:
You can also use the KH/pH/CO2 relationship as a rough estimate. Google it to find the specific chart. It's a useful rough estimate, but is not exact by any means.

Anything else that can help? Also I wanna bring out the colors of my plants, how can I do that? Will adding pfs help? Cause too me everything looks...yellow?

I added the ph drops, started out blue then like an hour or so later, it turned green.

Is the yellow in reference to sand in general? My substrate is a mix of flourite black and budget black sand, but I really doubt that substrate has much of a long term effect on most plants (heavy stem feeders excluded. A black background will also work.

As far as color goes, there are many unsubstantiated theories regarding bringing out reds, oranges, etc, but nothing concrete. I'm a big proponent of the the right spectrum of light and good ferts, with iron being a secondary factor, but some people swear by iron. I would recommend doing research and finding a theory that makes sense to you and follow that.

aqua_chem said:
Is the yellow in reference to sand in general? My substrate is a mix of flourite black and budget black sand, but I really doubt that substrate has much of a long term effect on most plants (heavy stem feeders excluded. A black background will also work.

As far as color goes, there are many unsubstantiated theories regarding bringing out reds, oranges, etc, but nothing concrete. I'm a big proponent of the the right spectrum of light and good ferts, with iron being a secondary factor, but some people swear by iron. I would recommend doing research and finding a theory that makes sense to you and follow that.

Not sand but i meant that people use blue or black backgrounds and use black sand or substrate which makes the green of the plants pop out. That's what i want. Make sense?

Also I plan on switching out the blue t5 bulb, know any good bulbs I can replace it with?

I highly recommend the giesemann bulb line. I use them for their strong emissions in the blue range of the spectrum, which I believe is a significant component of red colors. An Aquaflora+Midday combo is pretty much the best you can get, but if you're only getting one, I would get the Aquaflora. They are a bit more expensive, however, and the Aquafloras can look a little yellow, so keep that in mind if your other bulb is also off-color.

Will there be a difference when i switch em out? Will the giesemann bulb benefit more?

I'm not sure by what you mean by difference? And benefit more what?

If you have an actinic in there now (I assume that's what you mean by blue) then you will see a marked increase in your light levels.

Like will it give out more light than the blue bulb. And the the bulb isn't actinic. Also, are coral life bulbs any good?

So when you say blue you mean 10000K or higher? You probably won't be getting much more PAR in that case.

Coralife bulbs are ok.

aqua_chem said:
So when you say blue you mean 10000K or higher? You probably won't be getting much more PAR in that case.

Coralife bulbs are ok.

Well it says here It's 10000k but It's not actinic. I plan on replacing it with a white coral life bulb. Sorry if I'm confusing you haha

I always thought of 10000K as being white, lol. But that should be fine. 10000K bulbs and 6000K-ish bulbs put out similar par.

aqua_chem said:
I always thought of 10000K as being white, lol. But that should be fine. 10000K bulbs and 6000K-ish bulbs put out similar par.

What matters more, watts or spectrum? Also i moved the LA plants to a different spot cause it looked shaded to me, also when i pulled it out I noticed it hasn't grown any roots yet. Should I leave it floating till it does? I moved it to the front left side.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120109_163600.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120109_163600.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 43
Hmmm... If it were me, I would consider chopping it off right below the leaf line. To grow roots, the plant will have to bring a lot of energy and materials down to the roots from the leaves (not account for photosynthesis that might occur in the stem), which might explain the slow growth you're seeing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom