Limnophila aromatica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I trim it? Do i just cut it anywhere and replant? I have one growing almost out my tank.

You can do two things. I used to just cut it about four inches or so from the top and replant that, preserving the head of the plant. What I'm trying more recently is to just whack it down you a stump about two inches or so high and let it regrow from there, leaving the root structure intact. Either way will work, but the latter will leave the tank with that 'new haircut' look but eventually grow in thicker than before.

aqua_chem said:
You can do two things. I used to just cut it about four inches or so from the top and replant that, preserving the head of the plant. What I'm trying more recently is to just whack it down you a stump about two inches or so high and let it regrow from there, leaving the root structure intact. Either way will work, but the latter will leave the tank with that 'new haircut' look but eventually grow in thicker than before.

Do will cutting in the middle and replant be Okay?

Is it normal that my bottom leaves aren't growing but the top are?

Sounds like a light issue. The bottom parts of stems will get ragged and eventually melt if not given enough light.

aqua_chem said:
Sounds like a light issue. The bottom parts of stems will get ragged and eventually melt if not given enough light.

You're right. I have 48w t5ho fixture over a 36g bowfront.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120107_165208.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120107_165208.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 107
aqua_chem said:
Bought and planted in the next month or so.

I've had this plant for at least 3 months I think. I dug it out from the right side of my tank which is heavily planted, and moved it there to get some light.

aqua_chem said:
Hmm. It looks nothing like mine.

Yours are amazing. You prolly have more lighting than me, correct?

I have a 2xT5HO fixture on the front half of a 40 breeder a 1xT5HO on the back where this guy is. It doesn't get any light from the front fixture. Thats about half of what other people seem to use.

aqua_chem said:
I have a 2xT5HO fixture on the front half of a 40 breeder a 1xT5HO on the back where this guy is. It doesn't get any light from the front fixture. Thats about half of what other people seem to use.

Hmm I only have one, guessing I need more light. Says it needs plenty of light and iron to bring out the red, I dose seachem iron and have seachem tabs for it.

The aromatica only gets light from one bulb, so they are getting similar amounts of light. It might be a co2 issue causing stunting.

I personally think that of all the thing that make plants red, iron is about the least important.

aqua_chem said:
The aromatica only gets light from one bulb, so they are getting similar amounts of light. It might be a co2 issue causing stunting.

I personally think that of all the thing that make plants red, iron is about the least important.

Hmmm my drop checker color is at light greenish yellow. Like I said that plant was on the right side which is heavily planted, maybe it wasn't gettin enough light? This is my right side. The bottom was shadowed.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120107_200854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120107_200854.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 79
aqua_chem said:
What kind of co2 setup do you have?

I have 2 DIY bottles. One connected to a power head and the other using a sand airstone underneath the intake of the power head.

Back
Top Bottom