List of cold water fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I'm new to aquariums and I'm not going to get a heater so what are some easy cold water fish BESIDES goldfish that would be suitable for a 10 gallon. Not that I don't love goldfish, because I do but I think it's unfair to keep a goldfish in a 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what is the temp of the tank? Or the ambient temp of the room? That will give us a better idea of what fish to recommend. You might look into zebra danios in the mean time, they tolerate lower temps usually.

Well my house is 72 to 76 usually.

Perhaps White Cloud Mountain minnows will work with that tank size

Are they hard to care for? Do they have a lot of waste? My filter isn't the best since I made it myself.... I'm still proud though!

May I ask as to why no heater? If you bump the temp up to 78 you could keep a lot of other fish and the heaters don't make a big impact on the electric bill with only heating the water up a few degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just interested in cold water species that's all.

How about rosy reds will they work?

I think they would but the problem with them is they are usually in the "feeder" tanks and have a higher likelihood of being unhealthy. That said, my mom has raised feeder goldfish until they are quite large.

What is a cold water species that doesn't produce a boat load of waste like goldfish and suckerfish?

NatureFish
????

The reason I can't have a high waste producer is because my filter isn't the best in the world.

NatureFish
????

Here are a list of fish available at my local petsmart:

Most Chichlids
Rosy red
Black Moore
Comet goldfish
Ryukin goldfish
Shubunkin goldfish
Koi
Most suckerfish breeds
Black skirt tetras
Angelfish
Guppies
Neon tetras
Red neon tetras with that red line?
A bunch of fish I've never heard of etc.

I know for sure that they do NOT sell white cloud mountain minnows. I checked several times. Petco sells them but they all look half dead and floating and I don't trust that any of their fish are healthy.

NatureFish
????

No, Guppies come from central America and are warm water/tropical. What about zebra danios? They come in long fin and regular fin varieties and different colors. All the plecos are going to be tropical. Rosy reds are pretty when properly taken care of and healthy.

How do I know which rosy reds are healthy? Do you happen to know their life span?

NatureFish
????

What state are you in? Some one else may be able to recommend a shop that has better fish nearby. Its worth a try anyway.

Back
Top Bottom