Listless swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dobiedawn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Pertinent info: 29 gallon tank. Fish added 2 1/2 weeks ago after cycling. Whisper filter (I think it's model 30). 25% water changed yesterday. Not vacuumed yet. Food - Tetra flakes and Aquadine flakes (No. 110, I think?)

My daughter's tank has 5 fish total in it. 2 fancy guppies, 2 mollies, and a single swordtail. The fish seem to be active and are eating well, with the exception of the swordtail. The past few days it has been lying at the bottom of the tank and won't even attempt to eat. I have checked the ammonia levels and they are fine. Is this fish doomed or save-able?

Hi, you said that the ammonia is fine,,,is it zero? You said the fish were added two weeks ago after cycling. How long did the tank cycle and what did you use to cycle it? Often, even though an aquarist is doing everything right, swordtails simply do not do well because of where they come from. They are very stressed and many times they will fall apart over the course of days or weeks just from the stress of being removed from their pools in florida and changing tanks from one holding facility to another. I would monitor your water quality,,keep the tank as stable and stress free as possible and keep the temp up at around 78-80. Bill

Back
Top Bottom