Little frog with the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was intreagued when my g/f pointed out the little frog (less than 2 inches) at petco that was swiming around with some fish at PETCO. I was wondering if thats normal to have a frog and if so... what would I need to do?

I have a 20 gallon with tetra's, small catfish, snail, and eventualy a small pleco? also are any of them compatable with the frog. he was very pale but sadly I did not get hte name of him

It was either an African Dwarf Frog (ADF) or African Clawed Frog (ACF). ADFs are safe to have with fish and stay rather small. I had them a while back and they are really charming, but they need to be purchased from a quality petstore (NOT petco or petsmart, it's way too stressful an environment) and are extremely sensitive to stress and poor water conditions. They also basically require live or frozen food since their eyesight is terrible and they hunt by smell (they can be trained to eat freezedried foods, but its hard...I've never been successful). You also need a relatively shallow tank with (at least) areas of very little current because they have to come to the surface to breathe. ACFs grow much larger, are more aggressive, and I've read abaout them eating small fish...no personal experience, though.

Seconding the caution that it must be a shallow tank. I put two ADF's in a standard 55-gallon, and they drowned before I realized they could not manage the depth. You really need to be careful and don't go any deeper than a standard 10 gallon or 20 long.

iv had 2 adf for a month now in a seperate 55 gallon(iv got 2 55 gallons), and as long as your tank does exceed 1.5 - 2 feet, they will be ok(at least with my experience). i use the bottom of a clay pot in the middle of my tank, and i soak blood worms, brine shrimp in water, soak them up with my turkey baster and put them on the clay pot bottom middle of my tank, it took them a while to train, but they got the hang of it. they seem happy with the other fish buddies(plattys,giant danios). but this is my own personnal experience, some adfs are picky, some enjoys depths more than 1 foot, and some are easy to train. i also bought mine from petland and they seemed nervous at first, but now they seem very adjusted.

p.s i love that fly image lol

I used to have african dwarf frogs years ago and they were quite enjoyable. I never kept them with fish because I had heard they would latch on to fish with long fins mistaking them for food, and also because i only had like a 3 or 4 gallon tank. However I have seen them coexist with fish before so experimenting couldnt hurt i guess. Let me know how it goes as I would love to get a few again

Back
Top Bottom