Littlefish4's 29g community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlefish4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone!

I'm relatively new here and to the hobby so I thought it would be prudent of me to start a thread.

I recognize that I need advice on pretty much everything so let's get started.

Here's the tank!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454167276.485628.jpg

My current stock is.

Plants:

El Niño fern (more about this later)

Java fern

Anubis nana

Fish:

Opaline gourami ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454167536.664641.jpg

Sunset angelfish ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454167559.747736.jpg (still a little guy)

Autumnsky (shout out for the help!) recently told me I shouldn't have my fern's rhizomes buried so I tried moving them around a bit. They smell really bad and I'm wondering if it's rot. Should I toss them or not?

Thanks in advance to all contributors! Gonna use this thread for all my questions so any support is appreciated.

I would just keep the smelly plants. At best they recover. At worst they add a couple ppm of nitrate into the water.

Okay, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking to add 4-6 otocinclus catfish later this week. My understanding is they should fit with my current stock. Opinions?

Nice looking tank & fish! I'm interested in this el niño fern!

Also, I don't see an issue as far as bioload goes with adding some otos, and I don't believe your current fish will bother them either.

Also, I don't see an issue as far as bioload goes with adding some otos, and I don't believe your current fish will bother them either.

Thanks! Really excited about the otos. They seem like fun fish!

Also, is 4 otos enough?

How long has the tank been running? Otos have better success in mature tanks with a good amount of biofilm. I waited several months before adding them to my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty young tank. Will be 6 weeks when I would add them. Currently 5 and a half. Newbie question, what's biofilm?

Also, planning on supplementing their diet with algae wafers to make sure they eat enough

Biofilm is a coating that develops on surfaces as a result of bacterial colonization.
I have seen Otos in my tank gnaw on algae pellets and wafers and, on occasion, flake foods. They consume algae as well.

Biofilm is a coating that develops on surfaces as a result of bacterial colonization.
I have seen Otos in my tank gnaw on algae pellets and wafers and, on occasion, flake foods. They consume algae as well.

Thanks I appreciate the info ??

As a 6 week old tank though. Should I still be waiting longer to add them?

Question alert!

I run a penguin 200 filter on my tank and it says to change the filter cartridge every 2-4 weeks.

On the contrary, I have seen people suggest on this forum that they should just be rinsed and reused because they home good bacteria.

So should I consistently change the cartridge or just occasionally rinse?

I just rinse it in old tank water once a month during a water change. Don't rinse in tap water as it may contain chlorines that will kill you BB. If the filter media starts looking worn, only replace one at a time, then wait a month or 2 before replacing another. If you only have one filter pad, add the new one, then remove the old one after a month or 2.

I just rinse it in old tank water once a month during a water change. Don't rinse in tap water as it may contain chlorines that will kill you BB. If the filter media starts looking worn, only replace one at a time, then wait a month or 2 before replacing another. If you only have one filter pad, add the new one, then remove the old one after a month or 2.

Okay, all my filter has is the pad and the bio-wheel. So when changing the filter pad I should leave both old and new in there together?

Java fern (and anubias) grow best when tied to driftwood.

Yeah I was told that recently. Planning on making that my next purchase.

How much would a pair of 6-8" pieces of driftwood cost me do you think?

Yeah I was told that recently. Planning on making that my next purchase.

How much would a pair of 6-8" pieces of driftwood cost me do you think?

Hopefully between $5-10 a piece. Depends on the LFS and what types of DW they have in stock (Malaysian, mopani, manzanita, spider wood). My LFS carries Malaysian and spider wood. Malaysian typically sinks after boiling.

Back
Top Bottom