Littlefish4's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlefish4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I decided it was time to make a thread encompassing my small hobby to make asking questions easier. Meaning not using multiple threads.

My current adventure includes setting up a 55 gallon tank which will be community and converting my 29 gallon tank to a new set up as it is currently housing fish that will go into the 55.

To start off, here are some pictures. Because everyone knows all good threads have pictures!

FTS of my 29

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462631358.246596.jpg

Old pic of my still young angelfish
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462631435.929777.jpg

One of my 4 (going up to 8) also young turquoise rainbows
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462631488.045947.jpg

To start off my questions, I'd like to know some hardy, low-mid light plants that are easy to find. Not exactly green thumbed and I need plants for the 55 and 29. Currently have a Windelov Java Fern and Abubias Nana.

Second, I'm having a hard time finding relatively inexpensive lighting for my 55 (college student=small budget). And would love it if I could get some solutions.

And third, I'm leaning towards making my 29 a species only tank and I love fire mouth cichlids. Would a single pair have enough space?

The 55 is definitely a work in progress as I got the tank at a $ per gallon sale and have no equipment. Hoping to pull it together over the next few months.

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

Found myself at a pet store today buying an Amazon sword. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462645563.436643.jpg

So I'll add to my list of questions, any advice to care for Amazon swords? Do they need any supplements? My tank currently only receives API liquid co2 booster and aqueon plant food.

Also willing to hear other interesting stocking ideas for the 29. I just like the fire mouths so I thought I'd get some opinions.

Hey everyone! I decided it was time to make a thread encompassing my small hobby to make asking questions easier. Meaning not using multiple threads.

My current adventure includes setting up a 55 gallon tank which will be community and converting my 29 gallon tank to a new set up as it is currently housing fish that will go into the 55.

To start off, here are some pictures. Because everyone knows all good threads have pictures!

FTS of my 29

View attachment 286657

Old pic of my still young angelfish
View attachment 286658

One of my 4 (going up to 8) also young turquoise rainbows
View attachment 286659

To start off my questions, I'd like to know some hardy, low-mid light plants that are easy to find. Not exactly green thumbed and I need plants for the 55 and 29. Currently have a Windelov Java Fern and Abubias Nana.

Second, I'm having a hard time finding relatively inexpensive lighting for my 55 (college student=small budget). And would love it if I could get some solutions.

And third, I'm leaning towards making my 29 a species only tank and I love fire mouth cichlids. Would a single pair have enough space?

The 55 is definitely a work in progress as I got the tank at a $ per gallon sale and have no equipment. Hoping to pull it together over the next few months.

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

First of all, congrats on the larger set up! I will be watching this thread to see it evolve.

I think you will be okay with a pair of Thorichthys Meeki in there but they do prefer larger footprints than what the 29 offers. (the 55 would be perfect) New world experts can feel free to chime in here. I kept three Thoricthys Ellioti, which have similar temperaments and habitat, in my 40 gallon and had success.

For lights on the 55, a lot of people swear by the Finnex 24/7+ LED lights. You can get them relatively inexpensively online. Another cost effective fixture (it gets mixed reviews, do research) is the oddysea T5HO quad light. For $60-75 you get a decent fixture, low on features, that works as advertised.

Wish I could help you more on plants but I am just starting my planted adventure as well! Can't wait to see the 55 up and running!

First of all, congrats on the larger set up! I will be watching this thread to see it evolve.

I think you will be okay with a pair of Thorichthys Meeki in there but they do prefer larger footprints than what the 29 offers. (the 55 would be perfect) New world experts can feel free to chime in here. I kept three Thoricthys Ellioti, which have similar temperaments and habitat, in my 40 gallon and had success.

For lights on the 55, a lot of people swear by the Finnex 24/7+ LED lights. You can get them relatively inexpensively online. Another cost effective fixture (it gets mixed reviews, do research) is the oddysea T5HO quad light. For $60-75 you get a decent fixture, low on features, that works as advertised.

Wish I could help you more on plants but I am just starting my planted adventure as well! Can't wait to see the 55 up and running!

Thank you for the response! Very helpful stuff!

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you on the firemouths appreciating more space. So I think I'll steer away from those and look for a different species to focus on in that tank.

The Finnex 24/7 plus is a very impressive fixture. Is $150 (Amazon price) the typical price for the 48"? If so, it's a little out of my price range.

The odyssea T5HO quad is a little more in my range. And I don't need anything fancy so that is one I'm very interested in. Thanks for suggesting these!

Also thought I ought to mention my stocking plans for the 55.

1 Angel (already own)

8 turquoise rainbows (own 4)

10 Pygmy cories (yet to purchase)

Cleithracara Maronii (Keyhole Cichlid) pair or Thorichthys Meeki (Firemouth Cichlid pair. (Yet to purchase)

Would love to hear from people who own any type of small cories. Are Pygmy's to little for my intended stock?

Thinking about adding some snails to my 29 gallon tank. Probably nerites.

I have never owned snails before but from the research I've done they seem like they'd be okay in my tank.

Any thoughts AA?

Edit: I should mention that my 29 houses an Angelfish and 4 Turquoise Rainbowfish that are being grown out for my upcoming 55. It is lightly planted and has gravel for the substrate. I've been dealing with brown algae consistently and wouldn't mind a little boost from inverts!

Back
Top Bottom