Live Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm sure there is a lot for me to learn still so keep the info coming. I appreciate all the help.

Someone may have said but I can't find it. Will I need root tabs??

So all I'll need to buy is the plants? Then put them in my tank. And thats it??

Only if you get root feeders, like crypts. They're useless for java fern, anubias, and bolbitus. Yup, just buy them and put them in.

For the plants I suggested only crypts planted in the substrate would need root tabs. I would also suggest tying any anubia, java fern, or bolbitus to rocks or driftwood.

What do I use to tie them to the driftwood or rock with? And thanks for the info about the root tabs

What do I use to tie them to the driftwood or rock with? And thanks for the info about the root tabs

Some people use fishing line but I use 100% cotton black thread. It will eventually dissolve and by then the plant will be attached.

I think some aponogeton bulbs, might be good for you. You drop them in your tank and after a few days they start sprouting leaves. After a few weeks a couple roots pop out but the plant itself is still mainly feeding off its bulb for a few months. After those few months, they will need root tabs and they will explode with growth, even in low light conditions. By that time you'll have all this figured out and it'll all make a lot more sense.

For root tabs, it's easier to do it yourself.

Step 1: Go to pharmacy and ask for gelatin pill capsules. I got like 50 for $.25 a piece.

Step 2: Purchase a fertilizer product called Osmocote + (this product has already been mentioned in this article)

Step 3: Fill capsules with Osmocote Plus

Step 4: Poke small holes in capsules so air will escape and they will stay under your sand where you place them

Step 5: Place root tabs under your plants where the roots are. This is easier to do during a water change.

I've been doing converting my regular aquarium into a planted one and its a slow process but I've picked this trick up so far. One question I have about doing this method of DIY root tab is I'm finding the little Osmocote fertilizer beads when i vacuum my gravel (once a month). And i only use the root tabs every 2-3 months. Is this normal to see those little beads still in my aquarium? Are they not supposed to dissolve when the plants get a hold of them? Might these beads being turned up onto the surface of my gravel be dangerous? Thanks

image-2076144503.jpg

image-867951719.jpg

image-211233187.jpg

I added some picture to get some input on where may be the best to place the plants????

I checked my bulbs and they are 15w T8 18 inch full spectrum bulbs. And I have 2 of them. I thought they were 24 in but i was mistaken. Does this kuchange my lighting ???

The plants will attach themselves with time and the thread can be left on to disintegrate on it's own or you can cut it off. I just leave it.

Are any of those plants suggested a taller type of plant?? Would like to get a midsize and taller size plant if possible

Java fern can get pretty tall, but it takes a while. Anubias can be background, midground, or foreground depending on what species you get. Anubias can have 1 ft+ long stalks with leaves the size of a child's face or stalks just cm long with pencil eraser sized leaves.

Java fern can get pretty tall, but it takes a while. Anubias can be background, midground, or foreground depending on what species you get. Anubias can have 1 ft+ long stalks with leaves the size of a child's face or stalks just cm long with pencil eraser sized leaves.

Thanks. Good to know.

There are tall species of Crypts like Balanese. There are also many species of Anubia and some grow quite tall. Java Fern Wendilov can grow and branch out very large and the same for Bolbitus. I added a small 3" piece and a year later it's about 15" tall and equally as wide. I recently split it up into multiple plants as it was just too big.

There are tall species of Crypts like Balanese. There are also many species of Anubia and some grow quite tall. Java Fern Wendilov can grow and branch out very large and the same for Bolbitus. I added a small 3" piece and a year later it's about 15" tall and equally as wide. I recently split it up into multiple plants as it was just too big.

Ok good to know. So once they begin to grow you can separate them ?

I checked my bulbs and they are 15w T8 18 inch full spectrum bulbs. And I have 2 of them. I thought they were 24 in but i was mistaken. Will this be enough lighting ?

You can just cut the plants at the rhizome to separate them. Java ferns will also grow plantlets from their leaves. You can wait until the plantlets detach or you can remove them yourself once a small rhizome starts to form.

Back
Top Bottom