Live Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My plants seem to be doing okay!! Thank goodness. The one wasn't looking the best but seems to be doing better.

How often should I add the root tabs??? The directions say once a month. But should I be adding them more often since it is young?

I bought a 48 inch Aqueon T5 fluorescent light fixture. Absolutely love the way it looks.
But it is it good for live plants??? It said on the box that it was but want to know how good it is and exactly what plants I could add in the future with this fixture????

Is it a T5HO (high output) or reg fluorescent bulbs?

If it's the second that would be low light. I can help with plants once I know which type fixture you have.

If they are really thin bulbs you have T5HO's which are good. I run a 2 bulb T5HO fixture on my 55g tank and get a strong medium light and can grow just about anything.

Looking for a way to mount the light and inch or 2 above the tank?? Any ideas or suggestions

Is there anything i can buy that clips on the side of the aquarium that i can set the light on??

Live Plant questions??

I started by hanging the light from the ceiling, now it's resting on top of the tank. Not aesthetically pleasing since I'm using a shop light.

You would know if it is HO. The high output bulbs are I believe 54watts each.
I recently started with plants myself in a 40 gallon breeder with a shop light using 48" T8 strips, I think 32 watts or so. The shop fixture is hanging about an inch from the top of the tank and has 3 lights, I was using two 6500k and one 5000k for about ten hours a day. Wasn't long before green algae covered just about everything in the tank. Cut back to just two 6500k for about 6 hours and most of the algae died off. I only have amazons and ferns, these don't need lots of lighting and are doing pretty good under the conditions I have them in, I even think I could get by with one bulb.
There are many very nice low light plants that will do well for you. Do a search on it. It's just finding a delicate balance between lighting and time for a low tech setup.
Hope this helps.

Are there any ways to mount the light above the tank without having to hang it from the ceiling. Just want it a couple inches above the tank.

Back
Top Bottom