Live Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live Plant questions??

I tied mine to driftwood. Some people tie them to rough surface stones or rocks.

I've even seen some where the plant just sits on top of the sand and let the roots dig in. But I would assume that works well only in low water flowing areas of the tank. I could be wrong.

Ok sweet. I will probably tie it to a small rock. So i tie it to the rock and bury the thin roots??

Live Plant questions??

What is the best way to trim the plants if they have brown leaves or are just getting to big ?????

Not sure about the undergravel filters.

But there are liquid ferts you can buy and use in your aquarium.

You do not want to use undergravel filters in a planted tank and quite honestly IMO they are horribly outdated and cause more problems in the long run with detritus buildup underneath them which can't be removed which can eventually cause a tank to have high nitrates regardless of how many WC's are done.

Removed all more artificial plants. Now need to add a couple more live ones!!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405984203.520719.jpg
Picture is tank without artificial plants

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whats a good low light plant that covers the bottom like grass ???

Cyprus Helderi, Blyxa Japonica, Blyxa Auberti ????

Here is the base of my Cryptocoryne Balansae now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406156991.963565.jpg

I was wondering when I can separate it and move a piece in the another spot in my tank??

Ignore the mermaid can't wish all arguement a with my daughter.

Thanks

Nah, just be careful separating the roots. Crypts can have an extensive root system and the two plants can have intertwined roots. Just replant and bury any exposed roots. You may want to bury root tabs/pellets while you are at it. You should not see any melt if you are replanting in the same tank. I have had them melt when moved to a different tank (second tank was not heated). They bounced back.

Nah, just be careful separating the roots. Crypts can have an extensive root system and the two plants can have intertwined roots. Just replant and bury any exposed roots. You may want to bury root tabs/pellets while you are at it. You should not see any melt if you are replanting in the same tank. I have had them melt when moved to a different tank (second tank was not heated). They bounced back.

Sounds great thanks. Going to to tackle that project this weekend!!!

Replanted one last night and I think it went pretty good. Did not know there would be so much stuff come up with the roots. But got it done and will post a picture in a day or so once I know its going to make it.

Another question. How often should I be using root tabs ??? Once a month? Couple times a month?
I also use the flourish once a week. I usually put a cap full in after my water change. Am I using that right and enough ?

Replanted another piece of my crypts. I think this will be the last one!!! Will post a picture in a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom