Live plants touching heater okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it okay for live plants to touch the heater? I see everyone's planted tank and can't even find a heater =). I assume it would be find but wanted to be sure.

All my heaters have fish guards, which are plastic covers that surround the heater so fish/snails/etc., can't get burned. So I don't mind my plants laying against them.

I didn't even know about a heater guard until now... lol

I've kept my heaters close to plants, concealed. But then again, my heaters range from 25w, 50w, and 100w. I suppose the larger heaters might need a guard.

All my Fluval E Series (I think) are in square plastic guards. They are good if you have alot of "sucker" type algae eaters and snails. I run 3-300w heaters in the 220 and with having whiptail cats, bnp, and oto's plus angels that like to spawn on them the guards are a really good thing.

Aquatic Plants and Tank Heater

Is it okay for live plants to touch the heater? I see everyone's planted tank and can't even find a heater =). I assume it would be find but wanted to be sure.

Hello Buu...

Even though the tank heater doesn't get very hot, it can still damage any leaves that are pressed against the glass or plastic case. If you can, avoid putting plants underneath the tank heater.

B

All my heaters have fish guards, which are plastic covers that surround the heater so fish/snails/etc., can't get burned. So I don't mind my plants laying against them.

Oooh I might try and look for these! Lol I too never knew they existed. Your plants are all beautiful and clearly thriving so it must work.

I've had stargrass melt off when it got too close to a heater, although my limnophila didn't have a problem with it at all. It might vary species to species on heat tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom