Live Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may be kind of a stupid question, but I was just wondering if when I get my 55g all set up and running for my JDs if I can plant it at all or if they will just tear them up? Or should I just concentrate on caves and such? Also should I go with sand or gravel? People at my lfs told me that sand can be way more trouble than its worth. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Which type of cichlid, african or SA?

I have plants with both on mine.

For the africans I have java moss, java fern, bolbitis fern and anubias.

For my SAs I have the same plus swords and ludwigia repens.

I've had problems from either type uprooting or shredding the plants.

I was just referring to a Jack Dempsey tank that would be all that would be in there besides maybe a bottom feeder

Ah ok then, my JDs haven't dug anything up, so you can go with the swords and stuff like that. Still give them caves though. I prefer the terra cotta pots. I just use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to know out the bottom. You can then use fishing line to tie moss to it or pieces of java fern/anubias so it blends in better.

Depending on the tank size, for a bottom feeder I suggest featherfin syno cats or pictus cats. They're both way cool.

ok sounds good. Do you know anything about sand over gravel or does it matter. I read that JDs like a more muddy bottom so I was wondering if sand would be better for them over gravel.. I just want to make the best tank possible for them..

I have pool filter sand with my guys but they used to be in a tank with pea gravel. It doesn't seem mine care either way. Although, if you get a male and female, they might prefer the sand to dig out for their hatchlings.

from what I can tell by my JDs Im pretty sure I have 1 male and 2 females, but sometimes I think it could be 1 female and 2 males. But if there are 2 females and one male that would mean my chances are pretty good for breeding or am I wrong in that? Sorry for all the questions on this, but I fell in love with JDs when I first saw them when we got our first tank. I never got them until recently and I just want them to be happy. They seem to be hiding a lot is that normal? Ive had em for less than a week. Do the y just take some time to adjust to their new surroundings? They seem to be healthy they are just hiding.

No worries about asking questions, that's what this site is for. :)

JDs are like most other fish, they need adjustment time. Once they've gotten used to their new tank, they'll be out and showing off.

I really like how helpful everyone on here seems to be ive been reading on here for quite sometime but have never posted till recently. But the 2 females to 1 male is good? But if its 2 males to1 female will I have problems down the road?

Back
Top Bottom