live rock going white!!! why is it dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinefishys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone had my tank cycleing now for 5 weeks had all my water tested and my lfs said i can add my first fish so added a yellow tang hes eating n looking happy (so far) but noticed my live rock is starting to turn a lil white does anyone know why this is?? Thnx

What kind of lights are you running? It plays a major role in coralline growth, my friend runs basic stock lights and i run HO T5s an my tank is way more colorful then his it leaves him jealous. Also I do get this from time to time, you could try testing other elements in your tank like calcium,magnesium etc i add a lil strontium once in awhile it seems to help

What kind of lights are you running? It plays a major role in coralline growth, my friend runs basic stock lights and i run HO T5s an my tank is way more colorful then his it leaves him jealous. Also I do get this from time to time, you could try testing other elements in your tank like calcium,magnesium etc i add a lil strontium once in awhile it seems to help

Thnx for the reply I have 2 250 watt metal halide lights i dont have any coral in their at the moment just rock live sand and a yellow tang this is wot the rock looks like now

ForumRunner_20130115_140830.jpg

I'm assuming you are talking about coralline algae. While it can be acclimated to high light, taking it from the ocean or dark holding tanks and putting it under 250 watt halides can kill it. It will remain in the shadowed areas though, and eventually grow back. No worries. You don't need to add anything to the tank for it, and adding ANYTHING to your tank without testing for it is not a good practice. You could easily do more harm than good.

I'm assuming you are talking about coralline algae. While it can be acclimated to high light, taking it from the ocean or dark holding tanks and putting it under 250 watt halides can kill it. It will remain in the shadowed areas though, and eventually grow back. No worries. You don't need to add anything to the tank for it, and adding ANYTHING to your tank without testing for it is not a good practice. You could easily do more harm than good.

Ok thank you very much i did have it tested infront ov me it was perfect i think the light intesity mite have done it then shal i turn them off n just leave my white tube lights on or turn all the lighting off all together thanks mate :)

It's going to be under that light from now on, correct? I would leave it be. It's not hurting anything to lose some color on the rocks. Like I said, it will come back in time and you don't need it anyway.

It's going to be under that light from now on, correct? I would leave it be. It's not hurting anything to lose some color on the rocks. Like I said, it will come back in time and you don't need it anyway.

Ok thnx will it kill it even more or is it just getting acclimated thnx

Back
Top Bottom