Live rock growths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I recently set up a small 10 gallon salt water tank and noticed a Growth that sprung to life recently , it is this Cloudy grey jelly like substance that is located on the roof of the inside of a pce of my live rock , new to saltwater tanks so very curious as to what this may be, also there is a yellow sphere shaped thing that has been on my Rock since I got it, the rock was un-cured when bought an has been in my tank for about 2 an 1/2 weeks give or take a day or two, any help or just an assumption in general would be appreciated , and one last thing is I had a mollusk open up recently only to have a hermit of Myn break it off, this seems to be a hobby of his as he's knocked off a few others , I was just a lil interested as to if they would grow back or the ones that just fello off would re-attach if placed back. Thanks for taking the time to read this at-least, as I'm very interested in this and hoping that my tank and creatures will flourish. Thx again:)

Pics, the yellow thing is very noticeable and yes I'm aware of the bubble algae my emerald is slowly working on that ;p

Attachments

• image-4019541939.jpg
    image-4019541939.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-115620427.jpg
    image-115620427.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image-911228713.jpg
    image-911228713.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3075600555.jpg
    image-3075600555.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 121
Yellow sphere is a sponge. Harmless filter feeder. Can't see the grey substance in your pictures.

Ok thanks Rick, I'll see if I can get a better pictures it's a little hard due to its location, I also have this tiny thing less then a mm in size that has hairs at its top, it tends to retract the hairs within itself when I shine a light on it. Oh and furthermore my tank is turning a little golden brown well alot , I assume this is due to diatoms, i won't be able to change my water source but could snails address this issue if so what kind and how many?

Diatoms are a sign usually of a new tank. They usually burn themselves out.

Alright thanks joy, I'm still Interested in getting a few snails that wouldn't hurt right? Im interested in some that are more interested in cleaning the glass and possibly tough because my zebra hermit had been known to be sorta a SOB, I actually witnessed him pushing another hermit last night until the other hermit eventually fell off from the tallest point of the live rock, I found it quite comical actually as it seemed more of a territory thing then trying to actually kill him like I seen once before, oh and the fan worms are a good sign right? I just found another one 15 minutes ago. There very very small and hard to spot I'm sure there's more but I've counted two so far.

A few snails won't hurt. Always good part of a cuc. Feather dusters are harmless filter feeders. Sounds like your tank is progressing.

As for the diatoms, they feed on silicates and will die off as they consume them in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom