Live Rock Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I live all the way in Sri Lanka and I have no aquariums that deal in live rock... And I really want to get some live rock in the tank to help with filtration and even try my hand at some soft coral... I can't import it cause it is a small quantity. Is there anyway that I can make live rock and how?

This probably isn't the Politicaly correct thing to do, but if your near a beach, do some rock hunting, Sri Lanka is a large island right, you cant be too far from the ocean. You may end up with much better rock than can be bought.

Thanks a lot I thought the live rock sold at aquariums goes through a purification process... Is it ok for me to take it out the ocean and put it in the tank? Will it pollute the tank?

Yes, to an extent some will die and pollute the tank, you can minimize this by "curing" the live rock. Google how to cure live rock and that will explain the process, If you were putting this in a new tank with nothing in it, I would just drop it in there, but if your puting it in an established tank I would cure it first.

I bought Some live rock from the fish store that was pretty expensive, 6.99/lb and it came with about 12 apistasia anemones which are undesireable in a reef tank b/c their like killer weeds, that multiply and kill everything they touch. So the fish store may pass along some bad stuff to your tank also.

Here's a thread I started about that issue. I didn't know what they were for a while and kinda liked them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...r-about-a-dozen-aiptasia-anemones-193549.html

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys I am going to try and find some live rock from the ocean and put it through the curing process and see how it goes... Will update soon. Thanks!

I'f you're going to cure the LR why not just buy dry rock & cycle it in a seperate tank? it'd be easier & take about the same amount of time...

Just buy some base rock make some sw throw in the rocks then a raw shrimp when te cycle completes you have pest free live rock

I dont know but it seems like if you just put some rock in your tank it would grow to be very diverse, I mean some of the live rock I have has hundreds of species of plants and animals on it, just doesnt seem like much bio diversity going with just base rock without something to seed it.

Yup just managed with the greatest difficulty to source a live rock supplier and going to see him next week... If all fails I am going to have to make my own live rock...

Back
Top Bottom