Live Rock Polyps help (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black96WS6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi gang,

I went to the fish store yesterday, and they were having a sale ($2/lb) on some live rock that was old, some of the stuff was smaller pieces broken off from larger pieces.

There wasn't much good stuff, however I managed to dig around and find some pieces that looked colorful enough.

I got them home and placed them in my tank, and a short time later, what I thought were dead structures on the rock, polyps started coming out, I couldn't believe it!

A) How do I ensure their continued health (and hopefully growth)?

B) How could these things have survived?

1. They were in a big bin tank in the back, with no real lighting (unless you consider store lights "lighting").
2. There was no real filtration going on.
3. No one was feeding them.
4. Surviving the car ride home, out of the water, etc.
5. Who knows how long they had been there in the reject bin?

C) Are these considered actual "coral"? In other words, do I have to start worrying about lighting and supplements and filter feeder food now? :D Currently I just have a FOWLR tank on top of some dark base rock. But these things have survived so much, I don't want them to die now!

Pic below (they have maroon outer rings with a very very very light green center):

LiveRockPolyps.JPG

LiveRockPolyps2.JPG

Current tank inhabitants:
1 small cubicus boxfish
1 Firefish dartfish
1 Fire/Blood shrimp
2 Bumble Bee snails
1 Astraea snail
1 Serpent star

As you can tell these zoas/polyps are very hardy and can survive under many different situations. Provide good water quality and light. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom