live rock things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I bought some live rock the other day

I can't get good pictures
Most of the rocks have purple hairy stuff

One has purple flaky looking stuff
One has some round purple things kinda cone shaped.

One has a green sprout? Kinds, like a blade of grass or something
And then it has some thing sticking out that had purple tenicles that disappeared when I pulled it out to take pic

ForumRunner_20130121_145937.jpg

If they continue to open and close it could be a barnacle. You definitely have a lot of what looks to be coralline algae..... It's not a sign of poor water quality so the name algae shouldn't scare you. However, in good conditions, it can reallllyyyy be a pain.

A barnacle? It has several "hands" and they open and close and if you mess with them it sucks all the little hands back into the "base"

Could be multiple barnacles..... I had one. It looks like a hand sticks out and grabs the water and pulls it down. And it never really stops unless you scare it.

I really can't see anything in your pictures........ So i can't identify anything visually the description sounds like a barnacle to me though.

Ok it has a white base and has, several holes and out of each hole comes a hand thing and it just opens the fingers and closes it doesn't suck back in unless you mess with it

ForumRunner_20130121_164528.jpg

ForumRunner_20130121_164533.jpg

Ok def not barnacles. It kinda looks like Xenia...... But when you touch it does it shoot back in super fast? If so it's not a coral.

In the first picture, it looked as though the polyps were coming out of a calcium based skeleton. In these new pictures, it looks like there is no skeleton. I am thinking clove/glove polyps.

Its got like a white colored nub sticking out of the rock with several holes that the little hand things go back into

Back
Top Bottom