Loaches in my filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do they get in the intake or swim up the outflow? I'm guesing the outflow....I would think a piece of mesh screen (plastic preferably) around the outflow should do the trick, you'll just have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't get clogged up. Maybe you could mod one out of an extra filter media basket, like the ones the AquaClears use?

I had a khuli get sucked up through my intake, a piece of filter sponge with a hole in it slipped over the end solved the problem.

I couldn't keep my yoyo out, but it didn't take long before he grew too big (or fat!) to get up there. With kuhlis, I guess it's easier though, being a bit more slithery. How big are they? I'm with Newfound--it's probably the outflow. Most like swimming upstream. And they love eating whatever ends up on the filter cartridge ("dumpster diving").

Good luck with them. They are ingenious little buggers.

Just give up, lol. Once they find a good hiding spot, you can't keep them out. As long as you feel they are safe, and aren't able to make it to the impeller, they will be ok. The only other problem is when going into the filter, is there the possibility of them getting out of the tank and onto the floor? That would be a problem.

Lonewolfblue said:
The only other problem is when going into the filter, is there the possibility of them getting out of the tank and onto the floor? That would be a problem.
I second that. That's what happened to my zebra loach. I think he was trying to follow the yoyo. Make sure there are no holes around the cut-out for the filter. I had about an inch and the zebra found it. Other than that, and the impeller issue, they will be fine. They feel all snuggly and well fed in there and then pop back down into the tank when they've had their fill. :)

i had a yoyo loach in the tank as well, don't know where he is, i did a compleat re-scape yesterday, so all the plants and decor was removed, and the gravel was mixed about, so sign of him. guess i should check the floor.

what bugs me the most is the puffer is a VERY messy eater, and i NEED the loaches out and about to clean up the bits of bloodworm and snail the puffer leaves lying about. i am fighting BGA from the organics in the water, even with weekly ~80% pwc and bi-weekly blackouts, it is very frustrating.

i think they are swimming up the side of the intake tube, as they were under the media basket thingy (it is a, Aquaclear 30), the cover on the filter is tight, so i don't think they can get to the floor, but i am not sure :?

Oooo, yeah, check the floor. I didn't think it was possible for my zebra to have jumped out and when I found him, I still couldn't believe it. Although I will say they are GREAT hiders. He could be in the substrate eating what has sunken to the bottom, or he could indeed still be up in the filter. It took me awhile to actually find mine in there. He was way down by the bottom of the cartridge, and I had to shine a flashlight down there until I finally saw his little barbel mouth when he started to surface to see what all the hubbub was about. They really do like to hang out by all the ins and outs of the filters. Extreme sports fish I guess.

LandGhoti said:
Oooo, yeah, check the floor. I didn't think it was possible for my zebra to have jumped out and when I found him, I still couldn't believe it. Although I will say they are GREAT hiders. He could be in the substrate eating what has sunken to the bottom, or he could indeed still be up in the filter. It took me awhile to actually find mine in there. He was way down by the bottom of the cartridge, and I had to shine a flashlight down there until I finally saw his little barbel mouth when he started to surface to see what all the hubbub was about. They really do like to hang out by all the ins and outs of the filters. Extreme sports fish I guess.
well i know he was not in the filter, i took it apart and dumped the other two loaches back in the tank

Back
Top Bottom