Loaches Won't Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

downtheroad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a planted 20H that is currently the home to 5 pristella tetras. I've had them for a month or so and them seem to be doing quite well.

I now want to get a some loaches. I was thinking of getting 3 yoyo loaches, but I'd like to scope out if there are any other kind that I could keep that people want to recommend.

Also, I heard that loaches are known for coming in with ich and that it is a good idea to QT them. I do not have the means for a QT tank, so are there any recommendations there?

Thanks fellas.

I have yoyo's and I love them! Loaches are prone to ich when stressed and a QT tank is always a good idea when introducing new fish.

YoYos and Khulis are about the only types that are gonna fit in a 20 g. I absolutely love my YoYos. Very playful sort if kept in groups.

take the temp in your tank and raise it to about 86 before you add the loaches... then drip accimilate the loaches to your water and that should kill of any ich that might be in your tank. I did this the last few times i've added fish and zero problems.

yoyo

No yoyo's aren't as "snakey" as kuhlis

Sometimes yoyo's are aggressive but theya ren't ruthles killers or anything

Theyre called a yoyo loach because if you look close enough you can make out yoyo in theyre stripes.

this is a yoyo loach: ( not a big pic buts it a good example of what they look like)

Attachments

• 106056429.jpg
    106056429.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 420
After digging around this site for a little while, I am also quickly becoming sold on the idea of yo yo loaches. Currently, the two lfs's in my area aren't carrying any. I would like to see some up close and personal.

yoyos are great! another loach that would work in your tank is an angelicus loach (botia kubotai) they don't geet that big, and they're really beautiful!

Could somebody explain drip acclimation to me or link me to a site? This is the first I've heard of it. I'd google it, but I never know who to trust when it comes to this fish stuff. Thanks!

Drip acclimation is when you use a small line such as an airline one end in your tank one in a bucket with the new fish. Siphon the hose so that the water starts to flow, use a clamp or clothespin to control the flow so it drips into the bucket holding your new fish. When the bucket is full the fish are acclimated. Usually takes me about an hour.

Ah okay. So just pour the new fish, water and all, into the bucket and start that way? And this acclimates them better than floating the bag and just pouring some of the tank water in every so often?

Also, could somebody comment on the behavior of the Kuhli's? Are they as active and playful as the Yoyos sound?

Also, what are your opinions about the Angelicus? After seeing them, I think they are very neat-looking and would like to know more about people's experiences with them.

There are different ways to drip acclimate. I actually float my bag while accimlating. I float the bag and about every 5 minutes i pour about 5ml (about a teaspoon) of the tank water into the bag while they are floating. That way the temperature adjust while the water chemestry adjust as well. Then i Net the fish from the bag into the tank water. Works great every time and no mess with tubing or anything.

Thank you AshleyNicole. That's kinda how I was thinking about doing it anyway. If they have some cheap, thin tubing at the fish store, I may try to do it that way, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth when I can do it manually, so to speak. Now I just need to decide which species to get :0)

I went with 3 Yoyo loaches. I tried to acclimate them to the water's chemistry and temperature slowly... They were real hard to get out of the bag and into the tank... Very good hiders, these guys are.

Anyway, I've got the lights off and I'm trying to keep movement in the room at a minimum for a while. I have a crappy stand that is a bit wobbly. They're all kinda hangin' out in the driftwood and rock caves that I made for 'em though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom