Lobsters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beacious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I was wondering, can you go to wal-mart, get a Lobster (make sure they don't cook) and come home and put it in a tank (by itself or with others) and keep it as a pet?

Thanks, Beacious.

Wow, thats such a crazy idea it might just work. Haha I can see it in my head now. But something tells me (prbably logic) that is not possible unless you had a massive tank, 10,000 gallons may do. But no, I think that they can only survive a short time in thos little holding tanks.

Anyone tried it?

Yea you could, but I believe they need colder water. So it would have to be a cold water tank.

lobster

I think it would be a ton of work. Large, cold, saltwater tank, an expensive animal, lots of food, lots of cleaning... On the other hand if you wanted to give one of those crayfish out of the creek a try, at least for a short term pet, those would be a little easier to handle. I kept a bunch of them in a tank when I was in college. They are a little messy and can be canabilistic but they are interesting to watch. I don't think they'd get along too well with any fish you might have now though... :wink:

if you really want a lobster, i would just go with an orange and purple lobster that you usually see in the lfs or online. these are sold as "pets" for that purpose. they are very pretty, small in size only 3-4" i believe and are reef safe, if im not mistaken. i have never owned one, however i have been tempted to purchase one.
mermaid

Back
Top Bottom