Local Fish Stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few weeks ago, they had 50% off if you had a family member with you.

Hi all...

Curious if any of you have visited a place called SCALES Tropical Fish Warehouse (744 Cloverly Street, Cloverly, MD (301) 384-7839‎)??

I think it is relatively new. Mostly curious about others experiences with the place... seems like a nice store...facility wise. Terrible service though from the manager... most of the other employees seem okay.

Their website (Aquarium Store, Freshwater, Saltwater-SCALES Tropical Fish Warehouse) boasts that they have the only quarrantine system in the area. True?

Hope to hear some other opinions!

Jason

I disagree about the manager. Andrew's really good and knows his stuff.

I don't know about the only QT system, I doubt that, but if you do get a chance to go and peek at theirs it is highly impressive.

Their prices on dry goods leave a lot to be desired, but I can honestly say I've never gotten any bad livestock from them - (only gotten FW stuff from them, however).

I disagree about the manager. Andrew's really good and knows his stuff.

I don't know about the only QT system, I doubt that, but if you do get a chance to go and peek at theirs it is highly impressive.

Their prices on dry goods leave a lot to be desired, but I can honestly say I've never gotten any bad livestock from them - (only gotten FW stuff from them, however).

Dont get me wrong... Andrew *definitely* knows his stuff. He is *good*... its just that i got a little bit of a "soup nazi" (hopefully you get the Seinfeld reference) vibe from him. I got chewed out for asking a question; seemed that it was beneath him. I do like the place though... only fish store I've visited that doesnt smell like it. Who knows... the more I visit, maybe he'll start to recognize and open up to me.

Good to know about his dry goods prices though. I kind of noticed that when I bought a freshwater test kit from him and then the next day saw it for $10 cheeper at the big box pet store when i was picking up food for my beagle.

SCALES is nice, though I've only been there once. Whoever helped me (don't think it was a manager) was awesome, really took their time with me when I couldn't make up my mind which coral I wanted, and seemed personable. I like the livestock selection but you are right, their dry goods are kinda overpriced.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been there. It seems familiar. Did I meet up with you there Lindsay?

Yeah, I remember but not sure what I got from there. lol It's been awhile. It was a nice store.

Dont get me wrong... Andrew *definitely* knows his stuff. He is *good*... its just that i got a little bit of a "soup nazi" (hopefully you get the Seinfeld reference) vibe from him. I got chewed out for asking a question; seemed that it was beneath him. I do like the place though... only fish store I've visited that doesnt smell like it. Who knows... the more I visit, maybe he'll start to recognize and open up to me.

Good to know about his dry goods prices though. I kind of noticed that when I bought a freshwater test kit from him and then the next day saw it for $10 cheeper at the big box pet store when i was picking up food for my beagle.

I know how you feel I feel like I'm contracting aids every time I go to ricks pet store in frederick.

I know how you feel I feel like I'm contracting aids every time I go to ricks pet store in frederick.

LOL! Yeah I know how you feel. I just flat out refuse to walk in there anymore. I wouldn't care if they were giving stuff away (which they should consider giving that you can't move through the aisles). The people who work there are SO rude too. I've gone in there and asked for help before...didn't see anyone back in the fish room so I went out into the store part to get someone. There is a guy reading a magazine behind the counter and I asked him for help. He said "oh there should be someone back there". I told him I just looked and there wasn't. He told me to look again because he just saw him. So... I did. I came back and I was like...nope, nobody back there. And he, very angrily, helped me. Then when someone finally did come into the fishroom (they were all chilling in the backroom) he gave the cup and net to the new person and had them help me.

I told the guy that if he wanted me to I could just scoop them myself.. then told him nevermind, that I had changed my mind and I walked out.

Never been in there since.

Ha... well thanks for saving me the pain... guess I wont bother with Ricks...

Funny though... had a friend over last night. He saw my new tank and confessed for the first time that he used to keep a SW tank til a disease wiped him out. I asked him where he shopped, and he said Ricks... I asked him what he thought of the place and he said he liked it...

Things change I guess...

I must be nuts. I'm so frustrated trying to decide on my LR purchase that I am actually considering driving out to pacific east aquaculture. Road trip anyone?

It's way out in eastern maryland, over the other side of the chesapeake from me (135 miles according to yahoo maps). They have a sale on LR right now, 2.99/lb, and everything I've heard is that's a great place.

Am I crazy? Are ya'll crazy and want to come too?

Of course your crazy but it would be a nice trip. I've been there and Dr Mac is awesome. You'll love his green house frag growing area. It took me 4hrs to get there and I'm now trying to remember if I dragged Lindsay along. I would love to go again some day but I just can't afford it right now. :(

Nope you didn't drag me along though I've always wanted to go. That is quite a haul though!

I met Dr. Mac at MACNA (fitting huh?) and he was so cool and his merchandise is top notch. Too bad you aren't ready for frags Neilan cause you would be hard pressed to walk out of there without buying any!

If you go let us know when.

Oh, but add like 30 minutes on to your trip cause I think they still have one lane of the eastbound bridge closed for that truck wreck investigation...so traffic is only one lane either way. I think it's still closed anyway?

I think the bridge is doing 1 lane on the east span at nights only at this point. Either way, they are doing 2 way on the west span when they take the east span to 1 lane. If you have an EZPass, get all the way to the left before the toll plaza for the fastest trip through. If not, go as far left as you can... they do some wierd lane merging stuff after the plaza on the middle and right side that just foul things up... the left seems to move through much faster.

Seeing as how I am on the shore quite a bit (in-laws live on Kent Island), Where is this fish store over there and do they do FW too?

Okay... 1 more question (yeah right ;P) What is this "frag" you all keep mentioning?

A frag is a piece of Coral that has been cut off, for propogation or sales, most people do it to save room in their tank and trade for other rare corals they may not have. I also don't think they sell any FW equipment there.

A frag is a piece of Coral that has been cut off, for propogation or sales, most people do it to save room in their tank and trade for other rare corals they may not have. I also don't think they sell any FW equipment there.

huh... frag...ment... DUH! sheesh... i'm not quite sure why i didnt see that in the first place. Thanks!

I just went into Ricks the other week. I have heard bad things about them but decided to give them a chance. I needed compact bulbs for my FW planted tanks, the girl at the counter started arguing with me that I needed 50/50 bulbs for planted tanks and that they would have to special order them. I kept trying to correct her that 50/50 are not beneficial for FW plants, but she wouldn't listen...finally another guy showed up (i'm thinking rick) heard what we were arguing about and corrected her. But then he sold me bulbs with low wattage but red light assurring me that they would work fine for heavily planted tanks. They are the only store in frederick that sells compacts so I got suckered and bought them. Now my plants are dying and the bulbs were way overpriced. So much for giving them a chance....

That is a haul!! I've wanted to go out there as well. I think Ray has been before also. From the pics I have seen of the place it looks amazing!

Let me know when you plan on going I'll try and get together with you and go too!

Back
Top Bottom