Log of My Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok pickee upnhe plants. I was told that one of them (my favourite) needs to stay in a humid environment. So I am now trying to decide something. Do I risk putting the plant in top and possibly drying out or fill the tank halfway. What can I keep in a half filled 20 tall though...... german rams might ne too much bioload but they were good for the experiment.

I thought about a betta but since a betta can be flushed down the toilet and live 4 weeks in the sewer it probably wouldnt prove anything. African dwarf frogs are like wise. Red cherry shrimp and abit more sensitive but would it be enough for proof of concept?

Very interested. Following to see what happens good luck! GBR's seem like a good choice to me.

Also having your LFS do the testing is a good choice it will keep you honest with yourself. This way you wont be able to see the results you want to see if that makes sense.

Very interested. Following to see what happens good luck! GBR's seem like a good choice to me.

Also having your LFS do the testing is a good choice it will keep you honest with yourself. This way you wont be able to see the results you want to see if that makes sense.

Yes it does lol I will probably buy a cheap tds meter. I am just trying to decide if the tank half fulk is big enough for a pair of rams...

Yes it does lol I will probably buy a cheap tds meter. I am just trying to decide if the tank half fulk is big enough for a pair of rams...

Half full 20 gallon probably not. You could go with more sensitive fish like neons and if they stay alive you will know your experiment is a success.

Half full 20 gallon probably not. You could go with more sensitive fish like neons and if they stay alive you will know your experiment is a success.

Yea. I may see if the plant is ok with it full. The LFS didnt really know alot about them.

What is the plant?

Too pic is the plant in question. It was labelled green hedge but Im pretty sure that is actually one of the others. The one hanging out of the tank is parrots feather. Not sure what the grass is.

I kinda want to leave the tank half empty for the look but it will be better to fill it for the fish I guess. Any idea on how to plant these with a full tank? Also if anybody recognizes these plants will they be ok in ambient humidity? If not I will still do the experiment just with a half full tank.

ForumRunner_20140113_200842.jpg

ForumRunner_20140113_200931.jpg

ForumRunner_20140113_201004.jpg

ForumRunner_20140113_201034.jpg

Have you thought about trying a planted hob??? You should look them up they could possibly aid in filtering the water...just an idea

Have you thought about trying a planted hob??? You should look them up they could possibly aid in filtering the water...just an idea

I have but the boss is concerned about a possible fire hazard. I actually contacted marina about it because I believe the slim is the safest filter to do that with due to the impeller heing seperate from the tub. They said it wasnt recomended.

I have but the boss is concerned about a possible fire hazard. I actually contacted marina about it because I believe the slim is the safest filter to do that with due to the impeller heing seperate from the tub. They said it wasnt recomended.

Oh lol well never mind got to do what the boss says lolol

Oh lol well never mind got to do what the boss says lolol

Yea Im already on thin ice lol I am testing that plant in ambient hunidity to see what happens but I really like the idea of a half filled tank. Probably wont do it though.

You could try a hang on back breeding box and hook up a separate water pump to push water through it.

You can probably get by on ambient humidity with some of those plants like the aluminum plant. It's just going to be trial and error as to what may work.

Having GBRs breed really doesn't prove anything, the drive to reproduce and continue on the species is one of the strongest, so breeding isn't really an indicator of water quality.

Just casual observation, however, is enough to know if the fish are thriving in their setup.

I found a used TDS meter on ebay for just a few dollars, and it worked great.

You can probably get by on ambient humidity with some of those plants like the aluminum plant. It's just going to be trial and error as to what may work.

Having GBRs breed really doesn't prove anything, the drive to reproduce and continue on the species is one of the strongest, so breeding isn't really an indicator of water quality.

Just casual observation, however, is enough to know if the fish are thriving in their setup.

I found a used TDS meter on ebay for just a few dollars, and it worked great.

Jeta thanks I thought gbrs only bred in perfect conditions. If you dont mind which one is he aluminum plant lol I am hoping all with like ambient humidity.

Mebbid I am also considering that however I am concerned with the noise level asnits in my room. I actually found a breeder box that hangs on he outside of the tank like an hob. It is driven by airline.

Jeta thanks I thought gbrs only bred in perfect conditions. If you dont mind which one is he aluminum plant lol I am hoping all with like ambient humidity.

Mebbid I am also considering that however I am concerned with the noise level asnits in my room. I actually found a breeder box that hangs on he outside of the tank like an hob. It is driven by airline.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. I figured a small water pump would be more silent than the air pump.

Thanks! I will continue looking at options and that is definetly on the table! I am kinda stuck because ai have before me 3 optikns and all are things Ive wanted to do and all will work with this experiment lol

Thanks! I will continue looking at options and that is definetly on the table! I am kinda stuck because ai have before me 3 optikns and all are things Ive wanted to do and all will work with this experiment lol

Therein lies the biggest issue! Narrowing down what you want to do :D

I got a new 90g for super cheap myself and with someone's suggestion I almost decided to make a riparium with it.

Therein lies the biggest issue! Narrowing down what you want to do :D

I got a new 90g for super cheap myself and with someone's suggestion I almost decided to make a riparium with it.

That is a tough choice! I figure if it is fikked halfway the plants stay contained and I could still do the experiment with another species smaller than the gbr. Oh well we will have to see lol heck with the amount of plants I got in that package deal (the pick left alot out) I may have to do all 3 lol

Back
Top Bottom