Loner fish for a 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becrac16

Aquarium Advice Activist
So this thread is going to start off a bit morbid, but here we go.

As some of you may remember from long ago that I started a 55 gal planted tank a while back that was supposed to be a community tank. After fin rot and thanksgiving break I lost a lot of fish, leaving me with (1) tiny bristlenose pleco (3) sterbai corys and (6) rummy nose tetras. I am currently on christmas break right now, and left my tank to the mercy of an automatic feeder. I have no idea how they are doing but sadly I wouldn't be surprised if there was great losses. (I really hope the bristlenose pleco makes it through the holidays, I really enjoy him. )

SO through my short amount of time with a mini-community tank I have realized that it's not for me. Since having koi (the dogs of the sea, I swear) I think I really enjoy having 'loner' fish instead of schools. I am thinking of getting an angel fish, but from there I have no idea. I really like the look of peacock eels(?). But being a college student I want to keep the cost of my tank low. I have no lighting, but plants are thriving, I also have black gravel.

Any good singular fish that you guys enjoy that could live together in my tank? Any and all opinions are welcome.

Siamese Fighter? I keep my Bolivian Red Ram on his own and he's fine, although he probably should have a mate.

EDIT: he's kept with guppies and various tetras

IME larger SA cichlids have a ton of personality. You do need to take their adult size and temperament into accout though and small fish may disappear.

I've always been intimidated by cichlids! I know there are some non-aggressive ones but I've always thought of them to be too difficult to keep, but I have no personal experience. I'm not sure any of the tetras will make it, so that's not really a problem. But would they bother my tiny bristlenose or (if they survive) the corys? And could they be kept with angels?

Alot depends on the size of the fish, if a fish will fit in it's mouth, expect it.

Not in a 55 IMO, Angels get pretty aggressive as they mature. They are also cichlids by the way.

hmm that probably wouldn't work, I can't keep anything larger than a 55 and I'm almost decided that I want 1 angelfish. I heard angelfish are only really aggressive to their own kind

Wow, I checked on the tank today and no one has died! So I guess I have to look to other fish that can get along with a school as well as bottomfeeders.

I also really like bolivian rams, just putting that out there.

I have been looking into getting an albino rainbow shark. Doing some research I have read that sometimes they don't do well with smaller fish. Is it a risk to my rummynoses to get one?

I wonder how fast they grow, though. My rummynoses are full-grown and everywhere I read says they only last about 5 years while the rainbow shark lasts a lot longer. Maybe the rummynoses will pass on before the rainbow shark gets too big? Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Rummynoses are absolutely beautiful fish, and IMO, if you are considering a singular larger fish for your 55, then you might also consider a 10g setup for just your rummies. I know Petsmart in my area right now has an Aqueon 10g setup with filter and incandesent hood for only 20 bucks.

Ok, so I've decided on a few more fish. Not really loners, I guess, but interesting none the less! BTW, I'm back from break and not only did NONE of the fish die, they're all doing great!

So here's what I'm thinking; 1 angelfish, a school of glass catfish, and some bolivian rams. How many of the rams should I get? I'm not really interested in breeding, actually not at all, but I would like to have more than one. Not a lot, but more than one.

Also, it is looking like these all the fish I have (besides the angelfish) like to hang out near the bottom instead of the upper levels. Is that going to be an issue?

Oh and also adding possibly a striped raphael catfish and maybe some upside-down catfish. I heard the raphael catfish likes sand and soft gravel, but is it kind of the same thing with corys, that as long as the gravel isn't sharp they'll be ok?

Yesterday I went and picked up an angel and a raphael. The angel wasn't doing well today so I decided to do a water change and it didn't make it. They lfs guy said that babies are not hardy at all...

But the catfish is doing well!

Back
Top Bottom