Long Green hair algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do your fish look happy? It could just be that you're getting a false test result as darb2 suggested.

If your ammonia really is that high then you do need to get them out of there until you've gotten it under control with several large (50%) water changes.

It doesn't seem to affect my fish at all. But then is it because i put ammo-lock in there, and thats why it hasn't affected the fish? My snails have moved totally out of the water and has been like that for like 6 hrs...is that normal? mayb cause the water is so bad? i've been doing 50% water change everyday and the ammonia has gone really bad.I've noticed every since i cleaned out my filter (its on the top of the tank) the ammonia has gotten worse..mayb because i've killed my bacteria population?

If you used SW to clean it then it shouldn't have harmed the bacteria really. But that's the only thing I can think of other than something dying and rotting in there. If your snails don't normally sit out of the water like that then it's probably a good indication that something is wrong.

I'm surprised the fish look unaffected.

Have you tested for nitrites lately? If the bacterial population has indeed been wiped out then the presence of ammonia will cause it to rebuild, but unfortunately that will mean ammonia gets converted to nitrite which may well be deadly in such a small tank.

You might want to consider relocating the fish temporarily and then letting your tank cycle.

Yeah i have moved my fish temp. Yeah there was def nitrite in my water:(
who knows wat happened? is it a good idea to put sand on the bottom of my fish tank? apparently the fish store told me it will help with the alage problem?
Thanks for all your help! really appreciate it heaps! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom