Long initial cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I'm 28 days into my initial cycle. My levels are still off the chart and they don't seeem to be moving up or down. I used the fresh shrimp method but removed the shrimp about 10 days ago on advice from this board.

Tank is 100 gal. SP 1.024, water temp 78°F, decent circulation, cannister filter, cheapie coralife lights on about 14 hours a day. No RODI (yet) just tap water treated with a de-chlorinator.

Here are some recent results.

1-29-06
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 7.0
PH 7.9

2-4-06 (today)
Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 7.0
PH 8.2

No liverock (yet). I know this may not be an optimum set-up without liverock. I'm are getting impatient. I would've thought the ammonia would begin to decrease by now. Am I doing something wrong? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

IMO I think the lack of LR may be contributing to the longer cycle. Smaller area for the benifical bacteria to develop therefore the long it will take to cycle. One suggestion about the lighting is lower the running time or leave them off. With them on your diatom bloom is going to be a longer one. Having your lighting on during this phase serves no purpose except to look at an mt tank.HTH

I agree, the lack of LR is not helping anything. If at all possible, I would attempt to add as much LR as you can right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom