Long Siphon Tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I'm replacing my sump with with a sump/refugium and as long as I am doing this, I'm also going to hardpipe my overflow & return lines.
I'd like to modify my external overflow box to hang at the bottom of the tank, but still higher than the sump. This is to to hide the box and muffle sound behind a chair. My aquarium is used as a 3-sided room divider. I'd like to keep the box as opposed to a standpipe for mechanical filtration.

This means that the siphon tube will have to be longer, creating more head pressure in the overflow box. Does anyone see a problem with this? Will I get too much overflow? Has anyone ever done this?

I can make a drawing, if that would explain things better. Thanks.

Here's a crude drawing.

Are you sure about too much flow, Ezy?

Attachments

• overflow_199.psd
    161.2 KB · Views: 84
sorry, i can't open psd files here, have another file format, such as jpg or gif?

I do not recommend that. If your drain is stopped your syphon will continue and overflow into the floor. The back box is usually taller than the inside box for that purpose. It creates an equilibrium if the drain is plugged.

Thanks Krap.

Sorry Jbro, but that won't work. The reason the internal and external boxes are at the same height is to maintain the siphon during changes in flow rate and power outages.

With what you're proposing, if the power went out or your return pump slows for a moment, the water in the long siphon tube would drain out into your sump completely emptying your internal overflow box and break the siphon. Then when the power turns back on your return pump begins to fill the main tank again, but the siphon is broken and so you will overflow your main tank.

Back
Top Bottom