Look like fake dog doo, but what are they

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Belladauna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
They are stationary and shoot out a slime every once in awhile. I am sure they aren't harmful, but just curious.

Attachments

• image-987827096.jpg
    image-987827096.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3856675466.jpg
    image-3856675466.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 159
They look like a type of polyps. Could be extremely harmfull if they're "squirting stuff out". They contain a toxin called palytoxin that can kill all your other corals and even you! Be carefull with them for now until you get more opinions as I'm no expert but I beleive that's what it is. If you have ANY open cuts or sores on your hands/forearms do NOT put your hands in your tank. If you plan to remove them be very gentle and wear gloves.

Dude that is Sooo NOT a polyp.... It's a vermatid snail. The web is sends out is to look for food... Can be harmful to certain varieties of corals so do a bit of research on it as I am unaware of what you have got in your aquarium.

+1 to that. They are harmless but can get annoying when you sti up the water they toss out strands to collect food and it can be annoying to some corals and unsightly to the eye. Other then that a normal part of a saltwater tank.

Okay, but they are not motile, so not a snail. Two little prong things come out occasionally to - I'm guessing - catch food. Then throw up the slime later. But I doubt if a snail since its not motile. The rest of the hard rock came with several feather dusters (not aptesia) so I'm wondering if there is a correlation maybe.

Back
Top Bottom