Looking at a unique tank shape for a Betta - ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I was also thinking about setting up a betta tank. I wanted to make my first aquarium and put one of those cool little guys in there but I don't know if the dimensions would be a problem for them.

It would be 36"long by 8" deep and 8" tall. Obviously the height is a bit low but I want to put it in my kitchen on the counter but under an overhanging cabinet. The volume ends up being about 7.5 gallons, minus what some gravel will take up. Is the shallow depth okay for betta? I've been doing some reading and they apparently live in rice fields.

Hey guys I was also thinking about setting up a betta tank. I wanted to make my first aquarium and put one of those cool little guys in there but I don't know if the dimensions would be a problem for them.

It would be 36"long by 8" deep and 8" tall. Obviously the height is a bit low but I want to put it in my kitchen on the counter but under an overhanging cabinet. The volume ends up being about 7.5 gallons, minus what some gravel will take up. Is the shallow depth okay for betta? I've been doing some reading and they apparently live in rice fields.

I'd dare to say 8 inches is fine. This could make for a really nice planted tank being so short.

Caleb

I would just make sure there is some kind of cover since at that depth I bet they would like to jump out in to the sink "rice paddie puddle"

It will have a cover and I'd like to plant it as well, but not sure what kind of plants yet.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

It will have a cover and I'd like to plant it as well, but not sure what kind of plants yet.

There's plenty of low light plants that with proper lighting would flourish in this tank.

Hornwort
Wisteria
Java Fern
Java moss
Anubias
Vallisneria
Moss balls
Pennywort
Cardinalis

Etc..

Caleb

Wont the vallisneria quickly get taller than the tank?

Most of the plants we keep get taller than your tank. That's the part of keeping plants... They need trimmed.

Caleb

A crypt jungle would stay low and compact in a lowlight tank. Crypt wendtii, parva, lucens, etc.

A crypt jungle would stay low and compact in a lowlight tank. Crypt wendtii, parva, lucens, etc.

been looking into and it seems like it'd be really cool! I was doing some reading and it looks like lutea isn't difficult to grow and stays fairly low, plus doesn't grow super fast. There's also some taller varieties that I'd consider using for backround plants.

Would java moss work well in this tank too? I'm thinking about a triangular aquascape with a nice long piece of drift wood running through the diagonal of the tank.

Java moss would work fine -- it's a pretty bullet proof plant. Sounds like you have a nice image in mind, be sure to post some pics when it starts coming into fruition!

Back
Top Bottom