Looking for a heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demajori

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whats the best brand of aquarium heaters out there? I am looking to get a new one for my 100 gallon FW tank. Any advice? Personal experience? Thanks!:thanks:

I can tell you to stay away from Fluval E series heaters, oh they are good heaters, keeps good temp, has different light colors to alert to high, low, or correct temp range, BUT if you don't put them in the "perfect" water flow area of the tank they constantly flash LF (low flow) at you. I have a 220g in a 3 glass wall sunroom, so even with the room having it's own heating unit I need 3-300watt heaters. It was a royal pain in the backside to find a place of flow that all 3 heaters were happy with!!! Maybe in a smaller tank it would be such an issue but you have a 100g so I'd stay away from them (unless you really like a challange). I would have loved to go with an in-line heater, which supposedly gives you the most consistant water temp, but in order to get one with a large enough wattage for my size tank I'd have had to spend a bloody fortune. But I'd check into in-line heaters if I were you.

For a tank that size I'd have to say an Eheim Jäger - those things go on and on and on, just check the reviews out, I use a Hydor inline in my 63g along with an Eheim which is set slightly below the temp of the Hydor incase something goes wrong with it and I have a backup that kicks in. Not sure you can get Inline,s for that size of tank but if you can they are fantastic and nothing else has given me as even a temperature through out my tank.

Last edited:
You know I looked at those after these Fluvals drove me nuts but those puppies are so darn long! I heard lots of good reviews but how the heck do you get them placed in your tank to where they look good. Oh and are those the ones that aren't completely submersible?

The Eheim Jagers are completely submersible, they have the European certificate - they just have not bothered there backsides getting a US one, who would have thought the Germans being lazy :) - I run mine horizontally along the bottom of my tank, wouldn't even know its there. They are huge though!

I might go that way after these get older, with 3 newish ones they are unfortunely staying for a while.

Eheim Jager are fantastic & reliable heaters. Look very stylish too.

I like the aqueon pro heaters I have them in all three of my tanks and have never had a problem. They keep my tanks temperature VERY stable and the numbers on the adjustment dial actually match the temp it will be set to. It also has a red light that let's you know it is heating and a green light to let you know it is plugged in/ functioning properly.

Eheim Jager heaters are great. Very consistent and affordable.

If you are heating a big tank like that, I'd recommend two or three heaters instead of one big one.

Such as instead of one 300 watt heater, get three 100 watt heaters. One in the center and the other two six inches to a foot from each side.

Not only do you have even heat across the tank, you have two or three heaters to keep the tank warm and won't have an emergency if one dies on you. They will also work much less to maintain the temp.

thanks everyone for all your help...i think i will try the Eheim jager...read some good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom