Looking for advice on Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bischoff88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am cycling a gravel base 10 gallon freshwater with two zebra danios(plan on adding four more after cycle finishes and tank stabilizes) and my cycle has taken a very long time. I have a HOB hush 20 that i have cranked up as high as possible, air stone in center of the tank, and tank is heated around 78*. I have used Seachem Prime and Stability from day and use API kit 2-3 times a day.

I have been in the Nitrite spike stage for almost 3 weeks now and have been cycling for 3 months. Ammonia dropped off 14 days ago, nitrates have been present for longer, and brown algae has popped up in last week. I have had to start doing 50% water changes atleast once a day and a 10-20% as well.

Fish are active and fins are healthy, feeding with flake and blood worms. Two feedings a day, about 4-6 flakes depending on how careful I am.

Anyone have an idea why this is taking so long?

Thanks

Hi I would start by cutting back in feeding. I would feed zebras one flake each once a day whilst the cycle is going.

You may be over feeding. Toxins in a 10 gallon will build up quickly, especially with zebras although 2 is not that many they have a high bioload. Carry on doing your water changes and I reckon nitrites will come down in a few days.

Usually a cycle goes like this ammonia ---> day 14 ammonia starts to drop and nitrite is present -------> day 21-27 nitrites come down and nitrates are present.

Check the ph too if. It falls below 6.5 your bacteria may be slowing down. Water changes will replenish kh and keep ph stable at a higher value.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I am cycling a gravel base 10 gallon freshwater with two zebra danios(plan on adding four more after cycle finishes and tank stabilizes) and my cycle has taken a very long time. I have a HOB hush 20 that i have cranked up as high as possible, air stone in center of the tank, and tank is heated around 78*. I have used Seachem Prime and Stability from day and use API kit 2-3 times a day.

I have been in the Nitrite spike stage for almost 3 weeks now and have been cycling for 3 months. Ammonia dropped off 14 days ago, nitrates have been present for longer, and brown algae has popped up in last week. I have had to start doing 50% water changes atleast once a day and a 10-20% as well.

Fish are active and fins are healthy, feeding with flake and blood worms. Two feedings a day, about 4-6 flakes depending on how careful I am.

Anyone have an idea why this is taking so long?

Thanks

Hello Bis...

Cycling a tank with fish generally takes 3 to 4 reasonably sized fish for every 10 gallons of tank volume. You could add good floating plants like Hornwort and Brazilian water weed to help maintain more stable water conditions. Floating plants take in large amounts of toxic nitrogen through their leaves for food and keep the water a bit purer for the fish.

I can tell you from experience that large water changes keep the fish happier, but don't do anything to feed the good bacteria. You're essentially starving them, because they feed on ammonia and nitrite. If you remove it, they have nothing to eat, so they can't reproduce. I've seen this before, this is why the cycling process takes so long. A 25 percent water change done when you have a positive test for ammonia and nitrite will be plenty for a hardy fish like a Zebra Danio and leave food for the growing bacteria.

Just a suggestion, you're the water keeper.

B

my 40gal tank cycled I add 5lbs of gravel and I think it started the cycling all over again

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom