Looking for advice on what action to take if any.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrozenDeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Over the last 2 weeks I have had 4 fish die. First a Platy looked like a pinecone which ive read is dropsy which is a symptom of a few different things. I removed the fish to qt same day I saw this but she died the next day. I had a 2nd platy same exact events about 4 days after to the same end. Last week I pulled out a dead guppy and an oto with no signs of anything. All fish looked and were eating fine the day before looking pineconed or dying.

Now my surviving 2 guppys are "glancing" off the plants a notciable amount but no other symptoms and im wondering if I should treat the tank with anything and is so what should I use. (tanks also has 1 more otto, 4 pygmy corrys, 1 surving platy and rcs)

Things to add, might be relevent might not. I was on vacation for 10 days came back on the 5th of july, the fish were fed by my brother which I showed him how much and how often and the water tested normal that first day back before a 40% water change, but there was a noticble amount of decomposing leaves from my plants that needed to be removed and it was a heat wave not sure what tank temp was I was not there.

Any advise would be great even to just calm my nervs.

What are your water parameters? Sounds like something might be out of line.

Agreed.

I have yet to find a reason not to do a water change if any trouble is suspected though. I'd test and then do a 50%+ change. JMO

Tested the water 5 min ago same as it has been every test since I got back from vacation. Ammonia:0ppm Nitrite:0ppm Nitrate:15ppm Ph:7.5 been doing twice a week 30% water changes since the first death test before each one. Ill do a 50% now instead of the 30%, as recommended. Is there anything else I can do? Or am I at a just keep up maintance and see point here? Thanks for the quick responses.

Without knowing exactly what is wrong (if anything still or ever), I wouldn't advise anything other than pristine water conditions. Good luck and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom