Looking for Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I am moving around my fish so i can have a 10 gallon for Endlers. With means all my tetras and minnows in my small 10 gallon are going in with the angelfish (no the angelfish are not big enought to eat them). The female betta is going into a tank by herself. So any way some time after all this moving around i want to set up a 20 gal cichlid tank. What i want to know is what cichlids are :
  • Pretty much peaceful (breeding time does not count)
  • Equal to or less than 4 inches
  • Not too expensive in general(nothing over 10$ per fish)
Thank you and all answers are appreciated!

In a 20 gallon, I would do a species only Brichiardi tank, or some other smallish shell dwellers... even that is pushing it. The only "cichlids" I'd feel comfortable putting in there would be Rams or Apistos, possibly a trio or four Saulosi too; one Male, two-three Females...

Thanks for the reply and looking at the selection ill probably choose rams. Maybe 1 male and 1 female and see how it works out.

I dont know. What would be better, a long one or a tall one?

Okay Then long it is. And also i was looking around online and i think it said somthing like rams like caves or somthing. If i want a tank would one cave be enough or do they need more than one?

Definitely more than one, especially if you get a pair. You may even lose your female during breeding season if your male is mean enough.

Make sure the tank you set up is very well established. They have a nitrite sensitivity similar to Discus.

Thanks for the answers and ill make sure that the tank meats the requierments!

Plants are a great idea for a Ram tank. So are dithers. You can keep your minnows in there, or some tetras to fit that bill.

Look around your local shops. You can often find Apistos, which are a bit hardier. Rams are an intermediate to expert fishkeepers' species. Don't get too upset if you lose a few. I had R/O water and kept strict maintenance schedules and still never managed to have fry. I had eggs but never fry.

You can also try a pair of Laetacara Curviceps, or a pair of Biotodoma Cupido... these are the 2 most peacefull cichlids i have ever owned, and they would both do good in a 20 gal with a few other fish as dithers..

If you want something peaceful and colorful that will work well as a pair in a 20L I have a brood of oblongum fry growing out now. They're rare in the hobby, a dwarf species (males 5", females 4" max) of Australoheros from Paraguay. The fry are 1" or larger now, big enough to ship Priority Mail, $5 each. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Here's a couple pics of my adult pair.
Male:
img_1149972_0_38100a61d5134a1df2722a72b29e27c9.jpg

Female:
img_1149972_1_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

This pic shows off the blue spangles better:
img_1149972_2_dc817f73894f71bfabc7080695773375.jpg

Back
Top Bottom