Looking for compatibility opinions --- community with Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elysekuf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings!

My husband and I just set up our 29-gallon aquarium Saturday night. We've been using Seachem Stability as per instructions since then, and have used Seachem Prime the first night as well.

Today we just began the fishless cycling process as per the instructions found in one of the articles on this site here.

In the meantime, we're trying to plan the fish we're going to use in our aquarium. We're essentially beginners, though when I was younger I helped my dad run our aquarium at home, so I'm at least moderately familiar.

The centerpiece we're most interested in, and the fish we plan on getting last, is an angelfish. We like the look of them, and the fact that they've got strong personalities. So, knowing that we're building up to that, we'd like to plan our aquarium around the one angelfish.

I've spent the last few days researching angelfish fairly extensively, and I think I may have come up with a good combination to aim for, though I am of course no expert, and would love to hear some opinions :)

1 angelfish
1 bristlenose pleco - This is another non-negotiable for us. We like plecos and this is the smaller variety that will do well in our tank, I believe, unless I've misread somewhere?
2 dwarf gouramis - On the fence about these. We like their coloring, and their size seems like it would work, however, I have read that these fish can have strong personalities as well that can lead to issues with an angelfish. Thoughts?
6 cardinal tetras - I really like schooling fish. We can't have a large shoal, but it's at least something. However, my concerns are whether or not this is a large enough tetra to survive an angelfish. If not, are there any recommendations for another nice looking schooling fish our tank would be able to support?

Generally speaking, for the fish aside from the angel and pleco, we're interested in a tank that has fish spread throughout the volume of the tank, preferably with a school. A variety of sizes and/or colors are also nice.

I also believe the above follows the one inch of fish/one gallon rule.

Also, while we are doing a fishless cycle, which I've heard is supposed to have the tank ready to be fully stocked as soon as the cycle has completed, we still plan on only buying one species at a time. While the tank itself may be ready, we want to make sure we're on top of our game and give ourselves time to get used to everything. :)

Thanks for your help! :)

Oh! And tank dimensions are 30" long x 18" tall x 12" wide.

My experince

I have a 26g tank, I'm a beginner also, and curiously I also like Angel fish.
So I started the tank with 1 Marble Angel, small to medium size, and I added 2 Red flame Gouramis, the combination did not work for me, one of the gourami was extremely aggressive with the angel and the other gourami.
Short story, one gourami died, and the Angel was super stressed, shy, a his top fin was damaged, so I moved out the Gourami from my tank, and now the Angel is healthy, not shy at all, and always hungry!!
The Angel is with 7 Rummynose tetras, I love these tetras because their strong red color in the nose, and they are low bottom swimmers, good school, they don't bother the Angel at all.
I also have 7 golden yellow clouds, these are school also, and top swimmers so the combination and colors is great.
To keep the gravel clean I have 3 Julli corys, these are great and happy campers, all active and always looking in the bottom, they are school also.

This combination works perfect for me, and I'm not planing to change it at all!,

Before these I also have an albino red fin shark, which was also fighting with the angel an gouramies, so after some weeks the shark died.

This is my opinion hopefully you find it useful.

:bday::splat:

It sounds like you've done your research. I commend you. The inch per gallon rule is pretty much worthless though.

The only potential problem I see is the gouramis and the angel. There's a pretty good chance these fish won't get along in a 29g. It sounds like you're pretty set on the angel, so I suggest replacing the gouramis with another group of tetras or maybe hatchetfish.

There's a chance the angel may try to eat the cardinals, but if you get a small angel and let it grow up with the tetras, it's less likely to eat them.

Stocking slowly is a good idea, regardless of whether you cycled the tank or not. Nothing good happens fast in an aquarium.

Yeah, in doing more research, I think we'll avoid gouramis.

So to replace them is it better to plan on a larger school of cardinals, or consider something else like some corys? Those golden yellow clouds look interesting, too. We're pretty open to almost anything.

And there's even wiggle-room on the pleco. Mostly my husband likes the idea of some kind of fish suctioned to the glass :)

What is a good rule of thumb if the inch one doesn't work to avoid overstocking? Is it mostly then just monitoring your levels and watching your bioload that way?

Deinately, the best way is to introduce fish slowly and always keep an eye on levels. Even if you overstock it can be maintained by PWC more frequently though. Really depends on how much maintenance you want to do. =)

With a good filter, there's no reason you couldn't do something like this:

1 angelfish
1 bristlenose pleco
12 cardinal tetras
6 of a smaller species of cory.

If you're open to and set up for live plants, these fish would look awesome in a tank with stem plants like vals.

Makes sense re: stocking and maintenance

Do you have any recommendations on corys? Are pandas particularly difficult?

We do have a light for plants, and I actually have two plants in there, but that's one area I didn't research quite well enough before diving in. Our substrate is gravel only, and while it's enough to thoroughly cover their roots, it's obviously lacking in nutrients (why I didn't think through that one is beyond me). However, the light we're outfitted with is a Florasun 5000K, 24", 17 watt.

As for what kind of plant they are, another dumb mistake on my part was not paying enough attention to that. I had asked the guy at the LFS what plants were recommended given our setup, and it's a broad-leafed, smaller plant. Looking online it could be an Anubias of some sort or maybe even an Amazon Swordtail, but I don't think it's that.

Either way, I'm not optimistic about the two plants making it through the cycling process. And, if there is a way we can get set up with plants, I'm all for it, though need lots of directions! :)

In all honesty i have a planted tank with gravel substrate i use a supplement for plants although that is hit and miss with certain plants. The amazon sword is fine while a few others are not doing as good. As with Corys i hear panda's are quite fragile but other are not ask your LFS what they have in stock which are hardy =)

It's good to know it can be done! I really like the look of real plants, and I'd like to give it a go. I'm planning on introducing the bristlenose first once the cycle is complete (unless another fish from the above list is better suited to start), and was thinking about buying a couple of plants with each species buy. I'll keep an eye out for supplements / fertilizers, too.

Good to know re: panda corys. I was poking around some more and thought that False Julii's look pretty interesting too.

Good to know :)

What should my order of fish introduced be?

Tetras
Then the corys or the pleco?

I was planning on adding the angel last.

Make sure the tank has had enough time to grow some algae for the pleco - so you may be adding it last. Sometimes they're picky about eating wafers while they're settling in, and once they stop eating, it can be hard to get them started.

Makes sense :)

Another question is once I'm done with the fishless cycle, is it okay/safe/advisable to get the full school of 12 tetras, or should I only get a quarter/half, etc?

Just to be clear on what done with the fishless cycle means, if you mean you did the following steps:

1) Tested your aquarium during the cycle and got zero ammonia and zero nitrtites
2) Added ammonium and re-tested and got 2-4ppm ammonia
3) 24hrs later test and got zero ammonia and zero nitrites
4) large water change to lower nitrates under 20ppm (5-10ppm)

Then I think it's safe and advisable to add the full school. If you do add too much you will see a spike in ammonia. If that happens do PWC to keep it 0.25ppm or less while the bacteria builds up. I'm not 100% familiar with this fish, but I'm pretty sure that a bacteria population that can handle 2-4ppm ammonia in 24hrs in that size tank should be fine handling the bioload of 12 tetras.

Oh, I'm not anywhere near done with the cycle -- I'm just planning ahead :)

I'm sitting at day 3 of the cycle with no difference in ammonia levels. I've got a while ahead of me :)

Yeah I didn't mean to say you were done or anything :D.

Just wanted to be be clear what "done" meant. When I skimmed through that article on fishless cycling the last steps didn't seem very clear.

Fair enough. But yeah, I get the above :) I've read a ton of fishless cycling articles, I just used that one to get the process going. :)

I don't have seeded material, though I'm going to head down to the LFS today and ask them if they can help me out at all. If not, I'm fully prepared to be hunkered down in wait for quite some time. :)

Fishless cycle

The wait will pay off big time for you! I'm telling you based on my short experience.
For me the cycle took three full weeks, Be patience, in my case sometimes I was a little desperate because I wanted to add the fish for my kids, I truly believe that my cycle sped up when I added a big handful of gravel from a friend's tank and a pair of products called Special Blend & Nite-Out II ( Microlift), I bought both at Petco and just followed the directions.

My two cents, and good luck in your process.

A+ on fishless cycling and planning ahead for fish compatibility.

I would wait on planting, as plants can slow down the cycling process by eating the amonia before the bacteria can grow enough break it down into nitrites. Also, with the lighting and gravel you have now, I would stick with lowlight plants that will do well in regular gravel and - like the name says - low light.

The crypt family of plants, java fern, java moss and anubius are great choices to start with and usually easy to find.

Thanks all :)

And I esp. appreciate the advice re: plants. Anything helps there -- I really don't know much in that area.

I just picked up live gravel from the LFS tonight, and I'm going to my parents' for Christmas tomorrow for a couple of days, so hopefully in the time that I'm gone, bacteria will really start to multiply :)

Back
Top Bottom