Looking for Pump Recommendations, and Opinions about Sump Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelcrystal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Obviously the setup, plumbing, etc, matters in this discussion, but I'm only seeking general suggestions at this point. This is my first sump attempt, so I'm new to the concept of having to source a pump and deal with plumbing. The tank will be planted freshwater, 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll run the sump plumbing into the basement beneath the tank or leave the sump in the stand.

If I go with the tank in stand solution, the head height is only about 5 feet, and I'd likely use a submersible pump. Does anyone have suggestions for a quiet, reliable pump that could handle the rigors of a dual overflow system like this?

If I opt to place the sump in the basement, I realize I'm looking at a much more powerful pump (likely an external one). Again, what brands would you recommend if going this route?

Finally, can anyone share their experiences with sumps in the stand versus sumps on the level below the display tank? I'm specifically interested in practical reasons why one is superior to the other, in your real experience?

I really like the idea of having the easier access to plumbing, lights, accessories and the area around the sump that would be afforded by having it in the basement. My basement is unfinished, so splashed water and chemicals wouldn't bother me as much as on my hardwood upstairs. BUT, I don't know if I like all of that enough to justify the extra few hundred dollars up front for a powerful external pump, as well as the increased electricity costs of running such a pump 24-7. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Aquarium Plan (small).jpg
    Aquarium Plan (small).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 562
I'm currently running a mag 18 for the main filter and a mag 12 for my refugium and skimmer at 255 watts. Soon I will be replacing both pumps with a Speedwave DC Pump at 2640 GPH from BRS. According to the Specs it will draw only 85 watts, has 6 speeds and a 10 minute feed pause. From the few reviews I have read its very quiet. Unfortunately I read some where that is not the best for large head heights but is rated to 16.5 feet. Just something to think about.

As for a basement sump I would think you would need a very large pump to fight a large head height and get a good flow. One way to help it would put the sump as high as possible to minimize the head height. Also if the basement is not heated your heater will work harder than a under tank sump.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom