Looking for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mikejr20 said:
So here's my plan. I'm gonna rehome all my fish (except my tiger barbs) and my 2 turtles.

The way u have this worded, Abrams prob just read it wrong like I did myself.

Yea I could see how you could read that wrong. But Abrams should've just asked instead of jumping the gun. But now that's out there. What's everyones opinion on my new aquarium set up idea? And advice on the bottom part about the plants, driftwood, substrate, etc.......

Good to hear you are re-doing your stock. :)
That stock list sounds fine to me, but I am not positive about giant danios. I have never owned them so I am not sure if they need a bigger set-up or not. Hopefully somebody will chime in who has experience with them.
Play sand can indeed support plants. You should figure out what sort of lights you have and that will determine what sort of plants you can get, but there are some really easy low light plants like anubias nana that most do well in most low light set-ups.

Now is it a bad idea to set up my 29gal tank on a stand in front of a window?

You will get a lot of algae that way. That can be lessened by having an opaque background of some sort on the tank.

So I set up my new tanks. Unfortunately I still have the same stock until they are gone. I switch back to my 29gal with play sand, fake driftwood, fake plants, bubbler, skull and rock hideout. Filters are a marineland c-360 and marineland penguin 200B HOB.

My second tank is a 10 gal set up for breeding guppies. It has several fake plants for hiding and a staggered rock hideout. Filters include a aqua-tech 5-15 and aqua-tech 30-60.

How many guppies do you think I can put in my breeding tank since its only a 10gal? I have about 10 now in my bigger 29gal while the 10gal cycles.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-2297838815.jpg
    image-2297838815.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3933529747.jpg
    image-3933529747.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2871192318.jpg
    image-2871192318.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2535944281.jpg
    image-2535944281.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 64
Mikejr20 said:
Yea I could see how you could read that wrong. But Abrams should've just asked instead of jumping the gun. But now that's out there. What's everyones opinion on my new aquarium set up idea? And advice on the bottom part about the plants, driftwood, substrate, etc.......

Why would I ask when I can read what's right in front of me? I'm sorry if I came off a little short but yes I did interpret what I read wrong. Anyways I'm glad you decided to change things up and good luck with the new set up

Isn't algae good for my 2 crayfish and pleco?

Crayfish are scavengers, they don't eat algae. Common plecos only eat algae while they are young. Most tanks grow algae, the amount you will get from having it in front of a window is typically way more than any pleco will eat. Also, plecos will only eat certain types of algae but having the tank in front of a window will grow all sorts of algae.
I would only keep like 4 guppies in a 10g for long term. If you are using it as a grow-out tank only, then you have more wiggle room but you need to keep a close eye on your water parameters to make sure the water doesn't get icky too fast.
Is it possible for you to have both the 29g and the hex tank set up at the same time? You still need a place for your turtles to bask. Keeping them in this set-up even short term isn't a good idea for their health.

I just switched from a 29 gal rectangle tank to a 35 gal hexagon tank and I think it looks too plain. So any and all ideas on how to spice it up or make it look more like it would in a canal or lake would be greatly appreciated.

I have
2 yellow eared slider turtles
1 large pleco
1 rainbow shark
2 crayfish
1 bala shark
1 other type of shark that looks like a catfish
1 a weird bug eyed catfish

Here's a list of minimum tank sizes for the fish/turtles-
Bala Shark-125 gal(schooling fish)
Pleco-125 gal as it looks like a common/sailfin
Crayfish-20 gal(need species only tank with one crayfish per tank as they will kill fish and other crays)
Rainbow Shark-55 gal
Unknown Shark-55 gal AT LEAST depending on species
Yellow Eared Slider Turtles-55 gal(need species tank as will eat all small fish)
Unknown Catfish-I'm guessing 75 gallons

If you two previous posters, absoluangel and emerald, would have read through the posts, he has done some switching around and rehomeing. Doesn't have the turtles anymore.

If you two previous posters, absoluangel and emerald, would have read through the posts, he has done some switching around and rehomeing. Doesn't have the turtles anymore.

Then could you please explain the turtle in the upper right of the first 2 pictures?
He said he was going to re-home them, and then said the stock is the still the same and put up pictures with visible turtles, so I am assuming they are still there right now and he had not been able to re-home them yet unless there happens to be some floating plant in the exact shape of a turtle (which is possible).

Absolutangel04 is right the turtles are still in the tank along with all the other fish because I haven't been able to rehome them. Should I just give them away instead of selling them for a dollar cheaper then my lfs would sell them for? What about my pictus catfish? What's the minimum tank size for him?

Yea that's my bad. Your pics weren't loading up on my phone so I didn't see the turtles

Absolutangel04 is right the turtles are still in the tank along with all the other fish because I haven't been able to rehome them. Should I just give them away instead of selling them for a dollar cheaper then my lfs would sell them for? What about my pictus catfish? What's the minimum tank size for him?
Honestly, I suggest just giving the turtles away. It would be better for their over-all health to be in a different set-up, so I would just give them away rather than wait for somebody to buy them. If you can sell them, that's great, but I don't know how likely it is that anybody will buy them from you.

Ok thank you for the help on the pictus tank size and turtle advice.

emerald76 said:
Here's a list of minimum tank sizes for the fish/turtles-
Bala Shark-125 gal(schooling fish)
Pleco-125 gal as it looks like a common/sailfin
Crayfish-20 gal(need species only tank with one crayfish per tank as they will kill fish and other crays)
Rainbow Shark-55 gal
Unknown Shark-55 gal AT LEAST depending on species
Yellow Eared Slider Turtles-55 gal(need species tank as will eat all small fish)
Unknown Catfish-I'm guessing 75 gallons

Wrong about the crayfish sorry but it's not all that bad if you keep them fed up well and provide enough hiding places you won't have any problems with them regardless of what your lfs says. I have a blue cray with a wide range of fish and have never had one eaten not even nipped fins :)

Yea my crayfish leave my fish alone (I have two) but when I brought my brown one home it mated with the blue one twice and then killed the blue one. Now he kills off all the weaker crayfish I bring home except this one. So I have two now and a few spots they can hide in and not bother each other. Seems to be working out for now.

Now for my breeding guppy 10gal tank. If there's too much current in the tank will they not breed? I think the aqua-tech 30-60 moves the water too much cause the guppies are constantly swimming frantically. Should I post a video so you guys can see if this is normal or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikejr20 said:
Now for my breeding guppy 10gal tank. If there's too much current in the tank will they not breed? I think the aqua-tech 30-60 moves the water too much cause the guppies are constantly swimming frantically. Should I post a video so you guys can see if this is normal or not?

The current will be fine if you add some little t shaped plastic tubes or loads of fake plants in two corners just so they can stop and release the fry's the current won't make a difference to the mating just them releasing the guppies. Also a little tip if you want them to breed quick seperate the males and females for ten days and in them ten days feed the females only frozen or live foods Daphnia is best but don't over feed them, then put the males back in and wait around 28 days and search for the babies, don't put the females in a breeder net just leave them in the tank bad long as the males aren't pestering them too much and you've got the hiding places they will be fine. Putting them in the net will stress the female and she will abort the fry as a little orange egg or pull them back in and convert them back to eggs ready for when it's safe or in some cases she will just die. After the gestation period of around 28 days search the top corners of the water level around the still areas of water like above filter and in the plants and in the gravel :) follow this and good luck

Back
Top Bottom