Looking to start a water garden.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ey everyone I want to start a water garden in my backyard. I really want this to be a DIY project so I can minimalist costs. I'd really like some advice on what I would need to get started.

I totally messed this up. I meant a pond! So what will I need to start a pond?

Looks very nice. I have a similar one and had to reinforce the corners as the weight of the water started to push it apart. It is about 6'x7'.

I would skip the gold fish. Feeder gold fish carry disease... Especially walmart ones. Run your pump through a bucket/tub with a smaller water volume and do a fish less cycle on it. It will be a lot easier that way. Seed the filter from an established source if you can... Don't use any chemicals.

Have you had koi before? Have you had a pond before? How much sun will your pond get?

Attachments

• image-4256640823.jpg
    image-4256640823.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1640741882.jpg
    image-1640741882.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 149
Here is a pic of three different above ground pond types that I have set up grow tilapia right now. Maybe this will give you some ideas. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• image-1309720784.jpg
    image-1309720784.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 132
These are all setups that I am greatly considering. However I'm looking to add something that's not only practical like your setups but at the same time aesthetically pleasing a well. Also I would like to incorporate a sustainable setup because I want to minimize my water usage. Any ideas?

These are all setups that I am greatly considering. However I'm looking to add something that's not only practical like your setups but at the same time aesthetically pleasing a well. Also I would like to incorporate a sustainable setup because I want to minimize my water usage. Any ideas?

Water usage usually boils downs to nitrates (water changes in a closed system) and evaporation or absorption. You are going to want a complete system... Meaning a balanced one. Fish, plants, snails. The DIY box ponds we built can be finished off with wood or stone veneer on the outside to give it the look you are wanting. You can also connect it to streams and waterfalls and other water features. Before adding your veneer facing... Make sure your liner and frame holds the pressure of the water for a couple weeks without splitting... Once hidden, you won't see the warning signs. Brace your corners well. Treat the wood with a good water repellant stain especially the parts that are touching the earth to help against rot and termite attack. Use a good liner in this kind of box or double layer the construction plastic. (Liners will last a lot longer than the plastic).

If you plan on any kind of water outside side... Plan on green water. I keep my water clear with a uv light. Don't bother with the barley straw or the chemicals. Use a uv light. On my 300 gallon breeder tank I have a 7 watt uv and on the 10 ft pool that I only have a foot of water in right now I have a 9 watt. They took my water from pea soup to crystal clear in a couple days.

You can also do a DIY filter. YouTube is going to be your best friend for the next few days or weeks. Depending on where you are located... Spend the winter culturing/starting pond plants indoors for the spring and even aquarium raising young fish for the pond while you get everything together.

Why do you want to go above ground?

Just curious... are you looking above ground or in ground. A couple of members on here have beautiful set ups. I hope they chime in for you

Ghostriderphoto said:
Water usage usually boils downs to nitrates (water changes in a closed system) and evaporation or absorption. You are going to want a complete system... Meaning a balanced one. Fish, plants, snails. The DIY box ponds we built can be finished off with wood or stone veneer on the outside to give it the look you are wanting. You can also connect it to streams and waterfalls and other water features. Before adding your veneer facing... Make sure your liner and frame holds the pressure of the water for a couple weeks without splitting... Once hidden, you won't see the warning signs. Brace your corners well. Treat the wood with a good water repellant stain especially the parts that are touching the earth to help against rot and termite attack. Use a good liner in this kind of box or double layer the construction plastic. (Liners will last a lot longer than the plastic).

If you plan on any kind of water outside side... Plan on green water. I keep my water clear with a uv light. Don't bother with the barley straw or the chemicals. Use a uv light. On my 300 gallon breeder tank I have a 7 watt uv and on the 10 ft pool that I only have a foot of water in right now I have a 9 watt. They took my water from pea soup to crystal clear in a couple days.

You can also do a DIY filter. YouTube is going to be your best friend for the next few days or weeks. Depending on where you are located... Spend the winter culturing/starting pond plants indoors for the spring and even aquarium raising young fish for the pond while you get everything together.

Why do you want to go above ground?

Well because im not sure it is possible for a below ground pond. Nor do I think the setup would be cohesive with my backyard. Thus I have a concrete slab that I could build a small pond on top of.

bigbanker said:
Just curious... are you looking above ground or in ground. A couple of members on here have beautiful set ups. I hope they chime in for you

Thanks me too. I'm looking for an above ground setup.

Well because im not sure it is possible for a below ground pond. Nor do I think the setup would be cohesive with my backyard. Thus I have a concrete slab that I could build a small pond on top of.

A lot of things can be used on a concrete slab for a pond... Kiddie pools, pond shells, jacuzzi tubs, vintage tubs, watering troughs... Anything that holds water and is not toxic to fish. As a DIY project... Make it cost less, look nice and work well. The box can be made almost any size and is easily paneled with t1-11 paneling and stained or painted to match the home or theme. On concrete, I would use an underlayment to protect your liner from abrasions and leaking and also to help insulate.
Plants can be added inside using clay pots and a waterfall can be incorporated as well. The main thing is... We are going to be here to help you along the way.
Determine the size you want build.
What type of fish do you want and how many.
Bog plants, floating, potted,etc...
Really hot summers and freezing winters?
What features do you want? Water fall, stream, bog?
Once you have a plan in place we can help you put it all together and tell you all the money saving shortcuts that will surely save you hundreds of dollars.

Back
Top Bottom