Losing fish, floating upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am still building up my rocks in the tank. Had to do that slowly. So I read that everytime I put in a rock I am starting my cycle again. That is horrible. I cannot put more rocks in without starting the cycle again?? How about just base rocks. Will that cause me to re cycle my tank again, hope not?? The eel is a small one, moray I think. I put in the blue green chromies (think that is how they r spelled) to help do a fish cycle. When I did FW I always used a cheap fish to help recycle. I also used an older rock from the pet stores tank, to help with the cycle. I guess SW is diff than FW. Thanks guys for all the help. Changed the water yesterday, so going to check the water. She how things are going. Is there another test besides the kit tests that I need to do??? thanks again Lynda

Your cycle will not necessarily start over when you add new live rock, however you can cause what we know as a mini cycle. Where die off from the rock creates an ammonia spike. Well since the bacteria is not built up for more ammonia it takes a lil bit for the bacteria to colonize and consume the ammonia turning it into nitrite then nitrate. Dry rock skips this process, however it does take some time for dry rock to become live.

As far as testing for fish only your gonna wanna test temp, ph, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and probably phosphates. Reef tanks require additional testing including alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

look at this way, a Dead rock is just that used to be alive full of organisims, that are still on the rock but dead. So when you add it its like adding a dead fish. It will cause ammonia, nitrite and then nitrates. The bacteria does this for you. With you tank its new and does not have a good bacteria population yet so its harder to take care of teh dead stuff on the dead or base rock. The best thing to do is put the dead rock in a Brute trashcan, add a piece of shrimp, bacteria and a power head cyle it there and then put it into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom