Lost 3 fish in 24 hours...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, let me try that with the picture. I did 1/3 of a water change last night when I saw the dead Angel. I've tested my water and it's coming up clean, with the only exception being 0 nitrates, which I guess isn't good? I think my water is fine, other than the PH being a little high. I wonder if I didn't stock too fast and not give the fish enough time to acclimate to my new water.

Ok, nitrates aren't good as far as plants but that's not what's killing your fish.

I apologies if this was all said before. But let me try and get a handle on things.

Tank size
What do you dose? Ferts, Flourish Excel, etc etc etc.
type of lighting and how long
Stock
Your weekly routine
What type of substrate and decor. Rocks etc and where you got them
Have you tested tap water
What type of conditioner you use

I ask because I literally am going through the same thing and I'm bringing my tap water to a local pool company that can test for all kinds of things that we can't.

What are your phosphates at
What's the temp at
How do you introduce your fish, drip? Float the bag and add?

Ok, nitrates aren't good as far as plants but that's not what's killing your fish.

I apologies if this was all said before. But let me try and get a handle on things.

Tank size 36 gal
What do you dose? Ferts, Flourish Excel, etc etc etc.1/2 cap excel every other week/1/2 cap Flourish every other week
type of lighting and how long 2 T5s approx. 14 hrs per day
Stock 2 rasboras, 2endlers, 3 blackskirt tetras, 2 angels, 1 platy, 1 corey, 1 albino pleco, 3 neons
Your weekly routine once a week PWC (approx. 1/3)
What type of substrate and decor. Rocks etc and where you got them Substrate was this stuff I bought with the tank that is enriched gravel stuff (?) made for plants & to help cycle.
Have you tested tap water I have well water
What type of conditioner you use Easy Bal.

I ask because I literally am going through the same thing and I'm bringing my tap water to a local pool company that can test for all kinds of things that we can't.

What are your phosphates at This one I don't know....
What's the temp at 79 but had fluctuated from 84 down to 75 one night due to my stupidity and the complexity (sarcasm) of the Jager heater).
How do you introduce your fish, drip? Float the bag and add?-I dump most of the fish store water out and slowly add 1/2 cup or so, of aquarium water at a time every 20 minutes, HOWEVER-I rushed this procedure the last couple of times. I kind of wonder if this isn't the cause for the fish fatalities since all that died other than maybe one of the neons were new fish, but from different LFS. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help with this. I guess misery loves company, but it makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not alone in losing some fish. I had a 5 gal Chi tank for 2 years and every once and awhile a fish would simply disappear. Totally. I assumed that they would die and the others ate them. So far, no more deaths today...keep your fingers crossed Convict & I'll do the same for you. D

Stress weakens new fish and I can see some possibilities:

1. 3 neons - neons like being in a big group of 8 or more.
2. cories also like being with at least one other cory, same variety.
3. Angels will eventually need a 50G tank for 2. Dime sized babies can survive in a 30 until they are 3" then they will have to move. They are very aggressive fish and need room to move or they will bully each other and everyone else in the tank.
4. well water can cause problems in tank - very hard water, leached chemicals, heavy metals, copper, etc. Call local water company to see if they will test your well water. I would also call your city too. They may have some kind of free service.
5. I highly recommend filtering your well water with a two stage filter. It will take out loads of baddies.

Stress weakens new fish and I can see some possibilities:

1. 3 neons - neons like being in a big group of 8 or more.
2. cories also like being with at least one other cory, same variety.
3. Angels will eventually need a 50G tank for 2. Dime sized babies can survive in a 30 until they are 3" then they will have to move. They are very aggressive fish and need room to move or they will bully each other and everyone else in the tank.
4. well water can cause problems in tank - very hard water, leached chemicals, heavy metals, copper, etc. Call local water company to see if they will test your well water. I would also call your city too. They may have some kind of free service.
5. I highly recommend filtering your well water with a two stage filter. It will take out loads of baddies.

Thank you. I had 8 neons, but down to 3 now after losing them over the last couple of days. I have a baby cory that I'll be picking up at the LFS, but wanted to wait until after this distressing event passed. I have a 2 stage filter on my house where the water comes in from the well, so I was hoping that would do the trick, and honestly I haven't had any problems until I got my new fish.

I appreciate your advice and will take some water in to get it tested. So far, no more deaths and I fed just a little bit this evening. I'll be keeping a close eye on everyone. Thanks again. D

Thank you. I had 8 neons, but down to 3 now after losing them over the last couple of days. I have a baby cory that I'll be picking up at the LFS, but wanted to wait until after this distressing event passed. I have a 2 stage filter on my house where the water comes in from the well, so I was hoping that would do the trick, and honestly I haven't had any problems until I got my new fish.

I appreciate your advice and will take some water in to get it tested. So far, no more deaths and I fed just a little bit this evening. I'll be keeping a close eye on everyone. Thanks again. D

You are very welcome! Just to clarify, the first stage of the 2 stage filter should be a .4 micron filter, which will take out mast nasties, like Guardia; the 2nd stage should be a carbon based filter which absorbs chemical nasties, and heavy metals. If your filter is a whole home filter, the flow for those filters can be too high and won't filter out much. If you had a slow flow whole home, you would have no water pressure at all.

In fact, many aquarists swear by RO water and re-mineralizing it, but I find a 2 stage filter at the tap stage works really well for me. Every 3 months I change out the filters. You can see how much gunk is in the water when you see how brown the filters get.

You are very welcome! Just to clarify, the first stage of the 2 stage filter should be a .4 micron filter, which will take out mast nasties, like Guardia; the 2nd stage should be a carbon based filter which absorbs chemical nasties, and heavy metals. If your filter is a whole home filter, the flow for those filters can be too high and won't filter out much. If you had a slow flow whole home, you would have no water pressure at all.

In fact, many aquarists swear by RO water and re-mineralizing it, but I find a 2 stage filter at the tap stage works really well for me. Every 3 months I change out the filters. You can see how much gunk is in the water when you see how brown the filters get.

Thank you Berylla-I will look into a filter system. Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy one?

Thank you Berylla-I will look into a filter system. Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy one?

I purchased my filter at the RV water filter store:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

It uses standard garden house attachments to attach to your sink. Use potable garden hoses that are usually colored white or blue. They will start selling at the garden stores soon since summer is arriving soon. I attach mine to pvc pipe and make it into a u-shape so it hangs at the top of my tank.

If you are interested how I put it together check out my water change system:

Many Hats of Me: Aquarium Water Change System

I purchased my filter at the RV water filter store:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

It uses standard garden house attachments to attach to your sink. Use potable garden hoses that are usually colored white or blue. They will start selling at the garden stores soon since summer is arriving soon. I attach mine to pvc pipe and make it into a u-shape so it hangs at the top of my tank.

If you are interested how I put it together check out my water change system:

Many Hats of Me: Aquarium Water Change System

After looking at this filtration system, I realized that I also have this type under my kitchen sink. I have one filter on my holding tank coming in from the well to the house, and then my BF added a double filter like these shown on the kitchen sink, so I think the water is properly filtered. I haven't lost anymore fish since this afternoon and I sense that the crisis is over. I do think that I need to buy a new test kit though. Mine is a couple of years old.

After looking at this filtration system, I realized that I also have this type under my kitchen sink. I have one filter on my holding tank coming in from the well to the house, and then my BF added a double filter like these shown on the kitchen sink, so I think the water is properly filtered. I haven't lost anymore fish since this afternoon and I sense that the crisis is over. I do think that I need to buy a new test kit though. Mine is a couple of years old.

Excellent. To be effective, change out your filters every 2-3 months depending on how much water you use. Also, make sure it's has carbon to soak up nasties with a .4 micron filter.

Back
Top Bottom