Lost a Platy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquafriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my platies died and I have no idea why. :( I'm hoping someone here may have some ideas.
It's a 20gal community tank with an AquaClear 150, plastic plants. Established in March/04. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20ppm. Temp 78F. Never any problems with water conditions coming out of my tap (ie hardness, etc). PH is 7.2. So nothing has changed, water seems good, all the other fish seem fine, but one dies for seemingly no reason. I've had the platy for several months and I've had no problems with the tank at all for months. It's been quite trouble free. Last water change was about a week and a half ago. I try to do them every week; sometimes it ends up a week and a half. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lost Platy

Greetings Aquafriend,

It's always frustrating to lose one fish in a tank and then try to figure out the cause of death when there are no visible signs. This is usually, in a word - impossible.

Fish are prone to many of the same afflictions as humans. Heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, TB, cancer, intestinal blockages, genetic defects - and the list goes on and on. Oftentimes - fish just die for no reason that can be ascertained.

My advice: if all of your water parameters are fine and the rest of the fish in your tank appear normal and healthy - I wouldn't worry.

You do mention doing water changes with "tap" water. I assume you treat it for chlorine/chloramine.

Also, bear in mind that unless you know the age of the platy when you acquired it - you have no idea of it's potential lifespan. The average life span of a platy in an aquarium is about a year - plus. If you get 2 years out of your platy, consider yoursef an excellent steward of your charges - and be proud. I believe I read somewhere in this Forum of someone claiming that they had just lost a guppy that they had for seven years. This is genetically impossible. In 45 years of raising livebearers (principally guppies), I have NEVER seen one live more than 2.5 years - and even then - only on extremely rare ocassions.

It's always a bummer to lose a fish - but I hope and believe that you are dealing with an isolated incident.

One last thing. You are much better off doing small water changes (10-15%) a few times per week, than larger ones (25-30%) every week to week and a half.

As always, YMMV. Best of luck to you. - Frank/Guppyman

The fish acted fine before I lost him, though I wasn't home exactly when he died. I have swordtails, tetras, another platy and danios in the tank. So far everyone seems fine, so it may have been an isolated incident, though a sad one. :(
And, as you say, Guppyman, I don't know his age, though I had no idea they lived such a short life. That's too bad, and yes it is hard losing fish.
I do treat my water for chlorine. I had always done about a 25% water change a week (or so), but I'll switch to doing less water twice a week. But if I'm correct, I wouldn't gravel vac each time so as not to take out too much bacteria. I usually vac part of the gravel each week. Anyway, thanks so much for the info. I hope everyone else in the tank does ok, but so far so good.

Platy

Aquafriend. Please be aware of the fact that it s often stated that guppies and platys live 3 to 5 years. Often stated and very rarely attained. I think that in the long run you'll be better off w/ the smaller and more frequent water changes. Good luck. - Frank/Guppyman®

Thanks for the advice, Guppyman. :)
I did a small water change today, and I'll start doing them smaller and more frequent. I appreciate the advice, and I had no idea platys had such a short life span, or guppies. There's always something new to learn! Now, if I could ask one question- are platys schooling fish? Or will the one lone platy I have left be ok with the other fish in the tank? I don't want to stress him out. I think it was the female that died (I could never tell which was which until the female got pregnant!) but I'm not totally sure.

Aquafriend said:
I had no idea platys had such a short life spans. Now, if I could ask one question- are platys schooling fish? Or will the one lone platy I have left be ok with the other fish in the tank? I don't want to stress him out. - Quote edited by Frank/Guppyman®
Aquafriend: Remember - you will find scientific and hobbyist text that say their lifespan is 3 to 5 years. In a perfect world, maybe. Your platy will be fine by itself, but I certainly would get it a mate at some point. - Frank/Guppyman

Is there a way to tell if this one is the male or female? I could never tell them apart unless the female was pregnant. Now I wish I had tried harder! It's a high finned platy with what looks like a white 'base coat'. There is dark orange covering most of each side, plus a little black by the face. And black fins. I always called them my punk rockers because they're so wild looking next to my other fish.

Male or Female

Aquafriend said:
Is there a way to tell if this one is the male or female? I could never tell them apart unless the female was pregnant. - Quote edited by Frank/Guppyman®
It is very easy to spot the male's gonopodium, pointing backwards (number 7 in the diagram). The female just has the 2 fan shaped fins - number 8 in the pic - but again, not as pointed. - Frank/Guppyman®

Actually, female platys DO have a fin "down there", but it is fan shaped...the male's fin is pointed and...well....you get the idea... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom