Lost my cockatoo cichlid this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had Joe for about 3 months. It was a rough start with ich 3 days after I got him. Then it took me 3 weeks to realize he was NOT going to eat the flakes and pellets I was serving. So we got bloodworms and those he would eat.

I was doing water changes every 3-4 days, nitrates well under 20, feeding every other day. Feeding was tricky because Joe was shy. I would put in pellets or flakes for the other more aggressive fish, then do bloodworms after they were half full. Even two days ago Joe ate on this system.

I thought there was a problem a week ago when he was sitting on the bottom, but he bounced back. He liked his cave but still came out to swim some, even yesterday he was out and I didn't see much unusual in his manner. Then poof this morning he was gone.

Did I break some cichlid rule I don't know about? The only thing I can think of is that he needed to be fed more often, but I couldn't do that and keep the nitrates down. My other fish are pigs and they have to be full in order for him to get some to eat. Heavy feedings every day like that were not going to work. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom