Lost over half my fish plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boadams87 said:
If u don't wanna do that just empty everything and start over to completely remove all the glue.

I've emptied my canisters, cleaned them all out with salt water and I'm running the system full out. Pumps pushing the water so fast it's making the water swirl. I figure it might clean it out? I'm going to keep it like this for a week adding more salt and water as it evaporates. Then I'll empty it out and start again. Fish-less cycle this time no transferring water from other tanks or anything. Then if I have the same issue I'll dismantle the entire thing and use different glue. I really think this is a bacterial infection though.

Mlani said:
I've emptied my canisters, cleaned them all out with salt water and I'm running the system full out. Pumps pushing the water so fast it's making the water swirl. I figure it might clean it out? I'm going to keep it like this for a week adding more salt and water as it evaporates. Then I'll empty it out and start again. Fish-less cycle this time no transferring water from other tanks or anything. Then if I have the same issue I'll dismantle the entire thing and use different glue. I really think this is a bacterial infection though.

While its empty you might want to medicate it. Kill the infection (if thats what it is) and dont worry about the meds hurting the fish. Just a suggestion :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Instead of buying meds for an empty tank just bleach it. That will kill almost anything.

That would be a much better option lol and far more economical!

Last edited:
I spent the weekend working on the tank. I broke everything down (including the pipe running the filtration) scrubbed what I could and soaked what I couldn't. I let it sit for 24 hours to air dry after rinsing and re-rinsing. Hopefully when I get it all up and running again it'll fix whatever was wrong and I'll be good. I used the aquarium safe glue this time on the pipe too. I'm in the "dog house" now but hopefully it'll all be worth it.

Mumma.of.two said:
Good luck! I hope it's worked!

Thank you. I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow. Just debating whether or not to use the media from my 65 to seed it again. I used some from the 46 & 65 last time. This round I'm thinking just from the 65 since I know everything in there is good and healthy.

The count on my fish is sickening. (really makes me ill) I have 1-catfish 4-cories 0- cardinals 2-raspboras left :'-( One of the cories is just hanging on. I have forced myself not to think about all the guys I lost and am trying to just focus on keeping the rest of these guys alive! I've gotten some meds and garlic to soak their food in and have the temp raised and adding salt in the qt where they are. I don't know what else to do and still have no clue what is killing them. My guess since the meds don't seem to be helping, that they got poisoned from the glue?? And it's working it's way through?

So you still loosing fish 3 (?) days after the move? Just to recap. You have treated once for parasites and once with antibiotics? If its not the glue I'm thinking bacterial infections. Have you tried lowering the temperature and increasing salt? Lowering the temp slows bacteria growth.

Mlani said:
The count on my fish is sickening. (really makes me ill) I have 1-catfish 4-cories 0- cardinals 2-raspboras left :'-( One of the cories is just hanging on. I have forced myself not to think about all the guys I lost and am trying to just focus on keeping the rest of these guys alive! I've gotten some meds and garlic to soak their food in and have the temp raised and adding salt in the qt where they are. I don't know what else to do and still have no clue what is killing them. My guess since the meds don't seem to be helping, that they got poisoned from the glue?? And it's working it's way through?

Focusing on helping these guys pull through is probably the best idea. I'm really sorry for your losses :-(

I've heard that catfish, corys included, are sensitive to salt (mine did fine but i did between a 1/4-1/2 of recommended dose) so just a heads up in case you didn't already know.

Hi, sorry for your loses. Just a quick question but what type of catfish do you have? Some catfish are territorial and will chase smaller fish like tetras around. In some cases they will even kill the smaller fish. Just Chasing them can stress them out enough to kill them.
It is just a thought but one I thought was worth mentioning.
Just trying to help you figure out what is wrong.

Hi and good luck with the rebuild(y)
Have you lost any fish since you moved them out? Any signs of any other symptoms? Also any news from the company which you e-mailed?
Also yes just use the media from the tank you know is OK.
Just thinking out loud - if the fish were poisoned would they still be dying several days after being moved out of the infected tank?

Mumma.of.two said:
So you still loosing fish 3 (?) days after the move? Just to recap. You have treated once for parasites and once with antibiotics? If its not the glue I'm thinking bacterial infections. Have you tried lowering the temperature and increasing salt? Lowering the temp slows bacteria growth.

Yep sadly still losing them. I treated the big tank when they were in it for parasite and bacterial infection. Since moving them out I have only been using heat and half doses of salt. (the cories and cat) I have the temp higher instead of lower. I'll try the lowering and see if it helps. Thank you

skywhitney said:
Focusing on helping these guys pull through is probably the best idea. I'm really sorry for your losses :-(

I've heard that catfish, corys included, are sensitive to salt (mine did fine but i did between a 1/4-1/2 of recommended dose) so just a heads up in case you didn't already know.

Thank you :) I have been doing the half dose with the salt because of my catfish. I didn't know the cories could be effected by it as well? Good thing I knew about the cat. A spell with ich taught me about the catfish. Oh the lessons I'm learning ..

Guinness said:
Hi, sorry for your loses. Just a quick question but what type of catfish do you have? Some catfish are territorial and will chase smaller fish like tetras around. In some cases they will even kill the smaller fish. Just Chasing them can stress them out enough to kill them.
It is just a thought but one I thought was worth mentioning.
Just trying to help you figure out what is wrong.

Thank you, he's a synodontis. He's pretty laid back (still a baby) he keeps to himself and putters around the tank. Doesn't really bother with any of the other fish even if they come right up to him. Lol I appreciate the help and ideas please if you think of anything else feel free to throw them out there :)

stingrays4 said:
Hi and good luck with the rebuild(y)
Have you lost any fish since you moved them out? Any signs of any other symptoms? Also any news from the company which you e-mailed?
Also yes just use the media from the tank you know is OK.
Just thinking out loud - if the fish were poisoned would they still be dying several days after being moved out of the infected tank?

Hey :) the company still hasn't gotten back to me! I'm thinking of calling them but I'm not sure what the long distance charge would be if I get a recording instead of a person I could be on there forever. (hubby would crap his pants) there isn't any new symptoms, the latest to die haven't even shown any at all until they were dead. They swim, eat, colors good everything. To look at them you wouldn't even know there's a problem unless you hang out for a day and know that I'm scooping bodies out daily :'-( I'm wondering the same about the glue, if it's still in their systems?

Everything is back together now, just finished up. I'm filling it as we speak. I'm going to run it without any filters for 24-48 hours and then start the seeding. I'm hoping using the aquarium glue makes the difference. Otherwise I have no idea what else to do.

Before I start the seeding tomorrow, I have a question. I have DIY filtration for the 80gal in the past I've been using the filters that are made for the canisters I have (I'll post pics) Do you all think I could or should skip the charcoal filters and just use the bio ones? Also does anyone have any experience with those bio ceramic things that look like little donuts? I'm thinking of changing my filtration media up before I add any fish and need a little guidance from the experienced in this matter please. What works what doesn't ect. I'll answer any questions on stock plan and what not if it helps :)
Here's pics of what I was using and one of my two canisters.

Attachments

• image-2001626900.jpg
    image-2001626900.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image-109242312.jpg
    image-109242312.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1261862499.jpg
    image-1261862499.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom