Lost over half my fish plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll temporarily use carbon for two reaons: getting meds out of the tank and to get rid of tannins.

Was the carbon in your filter while you were medicating it?

Mumma.of.two said:
Ceramic rings? Yes, use them instead of carbon. IMO carbons not needed.

Thank you, should I get the ones that are already in liquid? Or the ones that come dry?

skywhitney said:
I'll temporarily use carbon for two reaons: getting meds out of the tank and to get rid of tannins.

Was the carbon in your filter while you were medicating it?

I took the carbon out when I was treating the tank. I was just wondering if I really needed it when I set it back up? I'm trying to figure out what's going to be the best media for the tank. I just want to make sure I do everything right this time to try and prevent it happening again.

Mlani said:
I took the carbon out when I was treating the tank. I was just wondering if I really needed it when I set it back up? I'm trying to figure out what's going to be the best media for the tank. I just want to make sure I do everything right this time to try and prevent it happening again.
Just wanted to make sure :) i personally stick with the ceramic tube things and sponges mainly and only use carbon when necessary.

Hi i use the ceramic things as a pre filter,then i use eheims ehfisubstrate as the main biological media,looks very similar to the ceramic rings but the eheim stuff has a porous surface to allow for loads of bacteria to colonise,then i use sponge to help polish the water. I only use carbon to occasionally. How are the fish now? Any more losses?

Thank you :) I'm going to go get different media this weekend and then start the seed. It's really difficult to pace myself I just want to get this up and going. See if redoing the glue and cleaning the crud out worked. I don't want to jinx myself, as of today there have been no more deaths. My count is now 2- raspboras 3- cories 1- cat. Man that's sickening thinking of how many I started with. :-(

Mlani said:
Thank you :) I'm going to go get different media this weekend and then start the seed. It's really difficult to pace myself I just want to get this up and going. See if redoing the glue and cleaning the crud out worked. I don't want to jinx myself, as of today there have been no more deaths. My count is now 2- raspboras 3- cories 1- cat. Man that's sickening thinking of how many I started with. :-(

Congrats on the fish, but we all make mistakes so take it with s grain of salt and chalked it up to learning

boadams87 said:
Congrats on the fish, but we all make mistakes so take it with s grain of salt and chalked it up to learning

Thank you, this hobby certainly does present plenty of opportunities for mistakes and learning doesn't it? ;-)

Thank you everyone for all of the advice, ideas, feedback and even just listening. I really appreciate it all! :)
I put the remainder of my fish back in the 80, after testing the levels and making sure everything was good. So now I'm going to ride it out for a couple weeks with these guys and see how it goes. In the meantime I will be starting a restocking thread, please feel free to give your opinions or ideas. The way I figure, you all have helped me through the losses I would love if you'd all help me rebuild. :)
I'll post the link to the thread once I've added it. Look forward to hearing some of your stocking plans!! Thanks again! :)

stingrays4 said:
Hi your welcome and yes the hobby does create many interesting problems:fish1: Good luck with the rebuild(y)

Thanks, I appreciate you joining in on the rebuild too. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi! Hows it going? No more losses?

No! Thank goodness!! I'm really thinking it was one of two things. The poison theory or a bacterial infection. Either way, the deaths have ceased. *touches wood* thank you again for helping me keep my mind during that. If I can help you in the future, please just ask! :)

Mlani said:
No! Thank goodness!! I'm really thinking it was one of two things. The poison theory or a bacterial infection. Either way, the deaths have ceased. *touches wood* thank you again for helping me keep my mind during that. If I can help you in the future, please just ask! :)

:) that's great news! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
:) that's great news! :)

I couldn't agree more :)
How's the TV tank coming along?? I haven't seen any updates on the thread?

Mlani said:
I couldn't agree more :)
How's the TV tank coming along?? I haven't seen any updates on the thread?

Tracked down a TV but I haven't see it yet :/ so I don't know if it's suitable. Picking it up next Sunday hopefully! When I get it I'll start a build thread. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Tracked down a TV but I haven't see it yet :/ so I don't know if it's suitable. Picking it up next Sunday hopefully! When I get it I'll start a build thread. :)

Awesome!! You must be so excited!! Please send me a pm with the link when you do start the thread. I don't want to miss this one! :)

Awesome!! You must be so excited!! Please send me a pm with the link when you do start the thread. I don't want to miss this one! :)

You could post a link here - I'm interested at your TV tank as well ;-)

Back
Top Bottom