Lost power no generator what do I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10 minuets but there is a big storm and it could be out for a few days.

Sw I'm in nj
I have a black and white clown
An orange clown
Royal gramma
2 turbo snails
Some mushrooms

For short term, and this is what someone else recommended that mght work. Take a plastic container and punch a small hole in the bottom. Fill it with tank water and suspend it over the tank. The water will drip slowly back into the tank and will keep the water oxygenated. The only problem with tis is that, depending on the size of the container, you will need to refill it every couple of hours.

The other thing is a battery powered pump with an airline hose and bubbler at the end. Your LFS may have them or other places like Petsmart or other general pet supplier that sells aquarium supplies.

As for keeping the temp up, wrap the tanks in towels and tape them down. When I lost power last winter, I borrowed some of the insulation from my basement and wrapped the tanks in that. I now have styrofoam sheets that are sized to the sides of the tank on standby. I can effectvely box in the entire tank, sides and top.

If u home temp stays up then that shouldn't be to much of an issue but hang a bucket over the tank with very small holes in the bottom and keep filling it with tank water it should take a decent while to empty if done right that'll help with the water aeration...do u have a gas stove or any other means to a practical heat source without electricity

This is what I did. Power surge protector with battery back up. A bit expensive but then again so is the hobby itself. They have them at Staples. Takes like 6 D batteries. I hooked my tank up to it and have batteries to back up the batteries.

I'm in Westchester NY and were getting hammered also. I already had 2 power losses in 1 hour. Power is going out all over.

Also some take batteries and some have a sealed acid battery. You have to shop around. There good to have. I have one hooked up to PC also.

All that is great but it won't help cuz I am housebound.

N.J. Getting hit bad huh? We were getting hit hard before but things slowed down.

Sorry man wish I could help. Hopefully someone else can help with a right now solution.

Good luck.

Nevermind previous post I was looking at the wrong page, thanks for the help.

I would purchase a UPS
Newegg.com - battery backup

Spend a hundred bucks or so and prevent the loss of hundreds....

I would only put the vitals on it though... your going to want it to last as long as possible when the power goes out.

Which is the right unit from newegg? I've looked at these before but could never figure out which one I could use.

Back
Top Bottom