Lost royal gramma and red flamehawk fish within 5 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Royal gramma had some tail damage a few weeks ago, then had a cloudy eye, which went away. He ate a lot, but then suddenly I saw him dead last Saturday and one eye looked like it had popped. On Monday I noticed my flamehawkfish had a cloudy eye. I did a water change and waited. The next day it got worse. He kept eating. I was looking for the right thing to do, whether to treat the tank with a reef safe product or do another water change. Wednesday he started hiding and the white stuff spread to his body. Thursday he hid more and didn't eat. Friday he was worse and died. The white stuff were blotches on his body. It was on his gills. It seemed he lost the cornea on his eye. What happened? My nitrates are zero! I have 2 clowns and a purple firefish that are fine.

How are you testing your water? What are all of your parameters?

Cloudy eyes are usually a poor water quality issue, bacterial or Injury. Was it one eye, or both? Both normally rules out injury.

Pristine water, proper diet and possibly antibiotic should do the trick.

How are you testing your water? What are all of your parameters? Cloudy eyes are usually a poor water quality issue, bacterial or Injury. Was it one eye, or both? Both normally rules out injury. Pristine water, proper diet and possibly antibiotic should do the trick.

I use the API test kits and everything is at zero. My water is really good unless I'm missing something. SG. At 1.025 and temperature is around 79. There was that one day when it dropped to around 75, then went back up, wondering if that stresses him out. It was only one eye. I was feeding them every other day for a while

Back
Top Bottom