Lots of fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a lot of platy fry :( and they are taking FOREVER to grow up. so is my best option to just donate them to a LFS or do i have any chance of making a tiny profit off of them :), also how many weeks is there of down time between batches of fry because it seems like i only get like 3 weeks, and im almost positive i have 2 females..the male died a long time ago like 3 months.

Oh yeah here are some pictures of my new ghost shrimp fry next to a bunch of 2 week old platy fry.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3818/img0756.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1500/img0760gc.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4575/img0761zl.jpg

I get my Platy fry about every 3 weeks also.

I started off with 3 platys and within 6 months I have had about 50 adult platy which I have had to give away to friends with tropical tanks.

My local shops dont give instore credit for fish for some reason, although they do take them of your hands for FREE.

My local shops dont give instore credit for fish for some reason, although they do take them of your hands for FREE.
same here... i hear people talk about stores giving credits, but none do around here :( Ive got a 4-5 week old red wag in my tank, he is maybe 1/2" long now... just barely too big for the other fish to eat. they must be slow growers

I have a sunburst wag that is probably 6 months old and it's still not the size of the mother. Probably goes to show you how old the fish in the store really are.

MFD that practice of livestock for store credit is nearly extinct. Its sad but they would rather buy unhealthy fish mill fish rather then ones born and raised on. It kinda sucks to be honest, my old man funded his EXTRA LARGE cichlid hobby with selling his fry to a LFS back in my hometown, moved to chicago, his old LFS from when he was in HS shut down and the one that replaced it well the guy is a smack, a big smack.

I sold over 8 dozen guppies on sunday thru craigslist. Also we have GCCA swaps here where the fish are cheap and very healthy and some breeders accept trades. I just scoop out the fry once or twice a week(what I can grab in a net 1 pass) and toss em in the big fish tank.

I am trying to sell mine to a HUGE LFS in the area but seems the economy isnt good enough for them to branch out to other breeders, I hit them up due to their stock(even sharks and rays) being local bred. They do a frag night twice a month ect so its good people just bad time to do business for the little guy.

Big Jim, thats not totally true, some fish are small, I got a full grown male gup under 1.5" and his son is twice the size of him, both were fry I raised. I am not sure what it is but I think genetics have alot to do with it, as well as the food they are fed before you aquire them.
Craigslist is your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom