Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends what kind of fish if you have fish that tend to stay at the bottom sinking pellets would work for the clowns as for the tang as clowns I would use flakes its what I used and It works the best.

Algae control - Lawnmower blennies are gret fish provided the tank is large and has sufficient algae growth. They will still need meaty items to eat though. if you had several large (at least 5-6 inch diameter) patches of bryopsis or similar algae, they would be a good addition. But too many starve because they are bought to control small bits of growth. They simply mow down the tall stuff, so there needs to be a lot. But like many blennies and dragonets, they also need a near constant supply of small food items. I'd call that a "maybe down the road" fish. But, I have heard wonderful things about the sea hares! And there is a blue and black one that is gorgeous!

Freshwater dip - Useful with many fish, but hardly a requirement. Also tricky. You have to carefully match temperature and ph. Don't do this unless you have read up a lot and are confident you can do it properly, or it'll cause more stress.

Glue - Once water is in the tank, silicone can no loner be used, as it secretes acetic acid (vinegar) while curing. Any good LFS should have or be able to order an aquarium safe epoxy. Superglue is also safe to use with animals in the water.

Food - Both and more! Marine animals are used to having variety in their diets. I recommend Formula 1 and 2. Get ones as flake, one as pellets. Also, while feeding those daily, every few days treat them with about 1/4 cube of frozen Marine Cuisine. This stuff gets pricey in the long term, so for about $30, I made a year's worth of food. My ex girlfriend asked what I wanted her food processor for, and about two sentences into the explanation, she said "You know what, don't tell me. Just clean it before you return it, please."
I could have made the food cheaper, but I bought all my seafood from a pretty high end market. Those darn fish eat better than I do!
Also, for the foxface or any other herbivore, sheets of nori. You can buy this at the pet store in convenient small pieces for a "just for your pets!" premium price, or go to an asian market and buy it in large sheets far cheaper. Just be SURE to get unsalted, unseasoned. Have marine based algae products available for herbivores at all times so they can graze.

Good luck! This is where it starts getting really fun!!!

The blue and black slug (the blue velvet slug I believe is the name) is incredibly hard to keep as they usually only feed on problematic flatworms and when there are no more, then well it starves. Too bad as they are beautiful! :lol: +1 for the asian market providing us with food for our fish! It would be more expensive to buy them at a regular grocery store (if you can find some of the stuff) or fish stores.

Oh haha that makes more sense! That was the sea slug I was thinking of that would help out with hair algae. The lettuce sea slug would be an awesome addition. The fact that is uses photosynthesis for some of its energy is incredible! I NEED to research these guys more :lol:. They seem harder to keep though...even if I never got one, I'd still like to know all about this slug! Sorry for getting kind of off topic...they eat algae, but probably wouldn't be the best recommendation for that.

Yeah, the lettuce nudibranch is an obligate bryopsis eater. Which means that onc ethey have (and they will) clear away every trace of bryopsis, they'll starve no matter what other algae is present. And while they do incorporate chloroplasts into their skin, I've seen no definitive research proving they are able to gain any substantial nutrition from it. Would be cool if they did. Photosynthetic like a coral, but motile! If I had a SUBSTANTIALLY larger tank, I'd get one. But I'd feel guilty in anything smaller than a 150. They'll breed, eat, and starve.

Regular old dollar store superglue is safe? There's no water in the tank right now and the chip is on the outside but if it's safe then I can save money on aquarium silicone. I'm still working on painting my background (ugh what a mess) but tonight I bought a bucket of salt, a powerhead, fish food, filter media, a hydrometer, and light bulb (which doesn't seem to work). Once I finish (or trash) the painting I will fill it up, get some shrimp and start cycling!

NicoleIsStoked said:
Regular old dollar store superglue is safe? There's no water in the tank right now and the chip is on the outside but if it's safe then I can save money on aquarium silicone. I'm still working on painting my background (ugh what a mess) but tonight I bought a bucket of salt, a powerhead, fish food, filter media, a hydrometer, and light bulb (which doesn't seem to work). Once I finish (or trash) the painting I will fill it up, get some shrimp and start cycling!

I use superglue gel ive used many different brands with no adverse affects

Superglue, Superglue Gel, Crazy Glue, Cyanoacrylate Adhesive, etc. all good. I'm cautious of "Superglue Quick Dry Formula" or pretty much anything with active ingredients other than cyanoacrylate.

NicoleIsStoked said:

No its safe i glue all my coral frags to rock inside the tank underwater has to be gel tho

So I will be filling my tank tomorrow. Should I put the sand in first or mix the water in the tank for a day and then add the sand? Does is matter?

NicoleIsStoked said:
So I will be filling my tank tomorrow. Should I put the sand in first or mix the water in the tank for a day and then add the sand? Does is matter?

If was me id put sand then water slowly or else youll get a sandstorm

Rinse your sand thoroughly first. Just put some sand (maybe 5 lbs) in a 5 gallon bucket(s) outside. Then put a hose in and let it rinse while stirring up the sand to get the fine debri out. Rinse it out 2-5 times until the water looks clearish and not milky. I've read that if you put in sand when there's water it will take take a while to clear up. It's worth it to rinse the sand or you'll have a tank that you can't even see through! :lol: After you have the sand then put in the water.

NicoleIsStoked said:

Rinse but +1 on puttin 5lbs unrinsed to keep it live

Sure, if using "Live Sand" but in that case, I'd skip the rinse and just let the cloudiness settle out (or instant water change to remove some). Also, if combining "Live Sand" with dry aragonite sand, make sure to put the live on top. LOL
Fill slowly. I'd add an inch of water, then the sand, then a large dinner plate. Fill using the plate to stop from digging a hole with the water flow. Will also minimize stir-up.

Some people have me really stressed about the crack in the glass. I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a brand new 50 gallon but I only have an hour to decide. Is a 50 still large enough to have 2 clowns, a foxface, a copperband butterfly and a dotty back?

:( I really like foxfaces. ****it. Any idea how much they cost? If its a $80 fish I won't be getting one anyways. I jumped on it and bought the 50. I got it with lights for $100. For that price I can't justify chancing it with 600lbs of water and a bunch of dead fish on my living floor. I'm going to try to sell the 60 as a reptile tank. Too bad I went through all that trouble painting it.

Back
Top Bottom