Loud aquaclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I have a aquaclear 50 HOB filter and recently it has started to make noise, so is there any way to quiet it back down. The noise sounds like it's coming from the impeller I was thinking of putting some vaseline on the shaft. Let me know what you think, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't use Vaseline. There may be debris down there. I would take out the impeller and clean out that area.

Definitely take it apart and give it a good cleaning with a brush or a q-tip. Try to get all the gunk out of the impeller well and the hole in the impeller where the shaft goes (can't think of a good name for that right now.) As long as you are using 100% petroleum jelly, it's fine. I use it on my Aquaclear 70 and it works great. But if your impeller is somehow bad or the shaft is not straight, no amount of lube is going to stop it from coming off balance.

I also find that after I turn the filter on (and after it clears out all the air) sometimes it still rattles or buzzes a bit. If I keep unplugging and plugging the motor, eventually I hit a sweet spot where the impeller seats properly and all I hear is the pleasantly quiet whoosh of water flowing through the filter. So you may give that a try if the rattle is not that bad.

I've also found that sometimes the filter is a bit louder if the sponge is getting a little gunked up and needs a rinse.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom