Low light carpet plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am looking for any carpet plant that could thrive in my 50G tank with 39*2 lighting. I am aware that in order to for example have HCs one has to have a lighting of about 2-3 W per gallon.And looking at my present lighting system that is way below. I will like to have a list of possible plants that could carpet under such average lighting circumstances.

Hi, I am looking for any carpet plant that could thrive in my 50G tank with 39*2 lighting. I am aware that in order to for example have HCs one has to have a lighting of about 2-3 W per gallon.And looking at my present lighting system that is way below. I will like to have a list of possible plants that could carpet under such average lighting circumstances.

Hello!

Sadly, creating a "carpet" can be extremely slow going with low lighting. This is because low lighting generally means slow growth. That being said, a plant such as Cryptocoryne parva works well in low light, stays more compact, and if you start of with a few plants it will give a carpeting effect. You could try some dwarf Saggitaria also. These get a bit tall and function better under higher lights but will survive fine in a lower lighting tank. Both of these plants are heavy root feeders, so to promote growth I would have a nutrient rich substrate or some root tabs to help out.

Marsilea minuta is another option, but also very slow growing. Ranalisma rostrata works for some in low tech situations but I know it helps to have a pretty nutrient rich substrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom