Low ph i need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 6 tanks. All of them but one has very low ph. 6.0. Its always low not quite that low. I have cichlids and need them at about 7.8 even 8. I used the baking soda and i am ok with doing that every water change, i bought crushed coral that i am ready to out in filters. I just dont know whats best. These tanks have been up for months... Fully cycled... Dont know why ph is so low.

Any suggestions on why its so low...
And whats the safest way to get the ph up, and stable so its safe for my fish.

There isn't a lot of information here to draw a great conclusion. It could be that your tap water has a low pH, or that fish waste has accumulated and lowered the pH.

It could be a combination of a few different things.

The crushed coral should help, but if you tell us more about your aquarium, then we may be able to help you figure out why your pH is the way it is.

I have 6.... So all are different. But all the levels are perfect in them all except the ammonia is a little high in one. I do a 25% w/c every 7-10 days. I do a good gravel cleaning so there is no fish waste. Not sure what other info i can give you.

When your pH drops that low, the bacteria responsible for your nitrogen cycle can go dormant. This might explain why you suddenly have ammonia showing up. Your cycle may have slowed or even stopped.

With multiple tanks having the same issue, I would look to the common denominator... your tap water. When was the last time you checked its pH? Did you let it sit over night to get a more accurate reading?
Also, I'd check the GH as well to make sure you have the buffering capacity to maintain a higher pH.

If it is my tap water... ( sitting some out now) whats the best way to keep it up? Baking soda? Or a chemical buffer? Or crush coral?

My tap water is very hard and alkaline, so increasing GH and/or pH isn't something with which I have practical experience.
So, for what its worth:
The crushed coral method seems to be popular. I think its because you just sort of set it in your filter or tank and not have to worry about it for a bit. I think with the other methods you would have to make sure you added some more every time you did a water change... and you'd need to figure out what that amount is.

I agree with the crushed coral route. It's simple to just throw some in your filter and let it work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom