Low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So as I have been setting up a tank to slowly convert to a brackish tank I have found my pH to be on the lower side. Around 6.5. Pulled some filter media from my established tank to jumpstart the cycle. Did water tests and everything looks perfect except the low pH. Tested my established tank which I haven't done (I know, I know buts it's 7 years old, come on!!) and it had the same ph! Obviously my fish in it don't mind bc they are all thriving. So my question is, is this lower ph going to be alright for the brackish over time? Or do I need to add some crushed coral or something to both of them to raise it a bit? The puffer in question is currently rocking it out in my established tank as he was a rescue from my local petco...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With setting up a brackish tank you use marine salt. It has many of the buffering agents you need so it should raise your ph a little.

If it doesnt, then a handfull of crushed coral in a filter bag would work well which wouldnt be a bad idea for your established aquarium. 6.5 ph is getting low enough to start interfering with the nitrification in the tanks.

That's what I was thinking mebbid. I had a huge angelfish in my community tank before so the ph being alittle lower was ok. Now there is just a school of harlequin, a Betta, a couple cories and a dojo. Oh and Leroi now for the time being. They have all lived peacefully for the past five years. My nitrates were alittle elevated then they usually run but I have been a slacker on testing. Once Osama passed I just did regular maintence and didn't do my monthly checks. It's planted but not as heavily as it usually is. I may end up putting alittle crushed coral in my community tank and see what the salt does to the brackish tank. Since I'm converting Leroi slowly to brackish I hate to mess with things too much too fast.

I wouldn't use marine salt if you plan to keep plants. This salt will burn leaves and roots.

They do have brackish salt :/ It even provides nutrients for plants

Really....I haven't seen this brackish salt that you speak of...I am gonna just do a few mini mangroves I believe. I have space to grow them out the back. And do a nice rock formation.
Do you know who makes this brackish salt by chance?

Thanks. For some odd reason when I checked my ph last night it had raised in BOTH my tanks...don't know what that is about but it was reading right around 7....

True. I think my water may be soft..thanks for your input:)

I wouldn't use marine salt if you plan to keep plants. This salt will burn leaves and roots.

They do have brackish salt :/ It even provides nutrients for plants
Would you care to elaborate why the brackish salt wont burn the plants when marune salt will?

I was under the impression that past a salinity of what 1.008 (ish) it was very hard to keep mostly all aquarium plants alive. Mangroves are about it that I have read. Some Java ferns and maybe water sprite. I thought it burned the plants or something although I could be wrong. I was getting ready to look up the brackish salt he was referring to and check the specs....

I was under the impression that past a salinity of what 1.008 (ish) it was very hard to keep mostly all aquarium plants alive. Mangroves are about it that I have read. Some Java ferns and maybe water sprite. I thought it burned the plants or something although I could be wrong. I was getting ready to look up the brackish salt he was referring to and check the specs....

It doesn't make sense that at a specific salinity level that one salt mix would burn plants when another wouldn't. Especially when Seachem makes claims that their product is okay to use and other salt products will harm plants then goes ahead and jacks up the price an absurd amount.

Instant ocean salt runs about $1.00 / pound
Seachem Brackish salt runs around $1 / ounce

They do this with a lot of their products.. It's clever marketing.

As for the statement that is has nutrients for your plants... MSDS says the seachem brackish salt is a "blend of magnesium and sodium salts" so.. it has magnesium in it for plants.

Mebbid the brackish salt by seachem has a different element breakdown more suited for brackish environment. The elements found in this salt, such as magnesium, is more suited for aquatic plants whereas most salt mix aim for NSW or higher.

Their product is different than other salts with plants specifically in mind. If this is appealing to the OP, the price tag may be worth it. I just brought up the fact salt will burn plants.. Brackish salt makes strides to avoid this. They never say, nor did I that [their] salt would not burn plants :/

It is just more traumatic and does more damage to the plant at higher salinity levels. Some people use aquarium salt in their tanks for their fish which if enough is put in will do the same thing to the plants. As previously stated I think it all comes down to the different trace elements in the chemical compound for each type. I have decided that I am gonna just do a few mini mangroves which can tolerate a higher salinity and are known to thrive in bogs and interchanges. Plus Leroi will probably enjoy them as well:)
I feel that trying to keep a planted tank for a brackish fish would be more trouble then it's worth. Might as well set this puppy up the way he would have it in the wild?
Although I would love to have an invert of some sort that could thrive in brackish that he wouldn't eat but I haven't come across that yet....

Mebbid the brackish salt by seachem has a different element breakdown more suited for brackish environment. The elements found in this salt, such as magnesium, is more suited for aquatic plants whereas most salt mix aim for NSW or higher.

Their product is different than other salts with plants specifically in mind. If this is appealing to the OP, the price tag may be worth it. I just brought up the fact salt will burn plants.. Brackish salt makes strides to avoid this. They never say, nor did I that [their] salt would not burn plants :/

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/BrackishSalt.html said:
Unlike other aquarium salts currently available to the hobbyist, Brackish Salt™ is more than just a simple sodium chloride product. These other salts can burn leaves and roots in a planted aquarium. However, Brackish Salt™ does not cause this type of damage, and actually provides many nutrients crucial to healthy plant growth.

They absolutely say that their salt will not burn the plants.

However, with the OPs tank in mind with the water being very soft and the pH low, the small amount of marine salt that is used in a brackish aquarium would buffer the water very well.

They absolutely say that their salt will not burn the plants.

However, with the OPs tank in mind with the water being very soft and the pH low, the small amount of marine salt that is used in a brackish aquarium would buffer the water very well.

I mean when use as labeled it won't :p But you got me they did make a misleading claim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom